An Act to bring into force the Revised Statutes of Canada,
Whereas, pursuant to the Statute Revision Act, the Statute Revision Commission has, under the direction of the Minister of Justice, prepared a revision of the public general statutes of Canada, which revision has been examined and approved by (here specify the Committees of the House of Commons and of the Senate or the Joint Committee of the House and Senate, as the case may be, designated for the purpose), designated for the purpose of examining and approving the work of the Statute Revision Commission;
And Whereas a Statute Roll, in the form of a printed copy of the revision in volumes, has been prepared, attested at the beginning of each volume under the signature of His Excellency, the Governor General, countersigned by the Minister of Justice, and certified correct by the Chairman of the Statute Revision Commission, and deposited in the office of the Clerk of the Parliaments on the day of , 19;
And Whereas the Statute Revision Commission has recommended that the Acts and portions of Acts listed in the schedule entitled Schedule I, attached to the Statute Roll, be repealed on the coming into force of the Revised Statutes of Canada, ;
And Whereas it is expedient to confirm the Statute Roll and to give the statutes set out therein the force and effect of law as the Revised Statutes of Canada, , subject to the limitations stated in this Act;
Now, Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
1 This Act may be cited as the Revised Statutes of Canada (year) Act.
Marginal note:Confirmation of Statute Roll
2 (1) Subject to this section and to the exceptions or limitations mentioned in this Act, the Statute Roll deposited in the office of the Clerk of the Parliaments on the day of , 19 and the several parts and sections therein contained, being comprised within the chapters numbered from to as therein set out, are hereby declared to be, and are, law by the designation of the “Revised Statutes of Canada, ” in English and « Lois révisées du Canada de » in French, to all intents and purposes as though the Statute Roll and those statutes therein contained, and the several chapters, parts and sections thereof, were expressly embodied in and enacted by this Act.
Marginal note:Commencement of Revised Statutes
(2) Subject to this Act, the Revised Statutes of Canada, (in this Act called the “Revised Statutes”) come into force, and have operation and effect as law, as provided in this Act, on the day of , 19.
Marginal note:Acts to be proclaimed
(3) Where an Act included in the Revised Statutes contains a provision stating that the Act or any portion thereof is to come into force on a day to be fixed by proclamation, that Act or that portion thereof shall not be deemed to be in force solely by reason of subsections (1) and (2), but the Act or portion thereof comes into force only on the day fixed by proclamation for the coming into force thereof, or of that portion thereof, as provided in that Act.
Marginal note:Regulation-making power
(4) Where an Act included in the Revised Statutes, or any provision thereof, confers power to make regulations or to prescribe forms, that power, for the purpose of making the Act or the provision effective at the date of its coming into force, may be exercised at any time after this Act comes into force, but any regulation or form so made or prescribed does not come into force or have effect until the Act conferring the power comes into force.
Marginal note:Enactments repealed
3 On the day of , 19, all the provisions in the several Acts and parts of Acts listed in Schedule I to the Statute Roll are repealed to the extent mentioned in the third column of that Schedule.
Marginal note:Dead law not revived
4 The repeal of the Acts and parts of Acts listed in Schedule I to the Statute Roll does not
(a) revive any Act or provision of law repealed by them;
(b) affect any saving clause in the Acts or parts of Acts so repealed; or
(c) prevent the application of any of those Acts or parts of Acts, or of any Act or provision of law formerly in force, to any transaction, matter or thing anterior to the repeal to which they would otherwise apply.
Marginal note:Operation of Revised Statutes
5 The Revised Statutes shall not be held to operate as new law, but shall be construed and have effect as a consolidation and as declaratory of the law as contained in the Acts and parts of Acts repealed by section 3, and for which the Revised Statutes are substituted.
Marginal note:References to repealed enactments
6 A reference in any Act enacted before the coming into force of the Revised Statutes and remaining in force after that time, or in any instrument or document, to any Act or enactment repealed under section 3, shall, after the Revised Statutes take effect, be deemed, in respect of any subsequent transaction, matter or thing, to be a reference to the enactment in the Revised Statutes having the same effect as the repealed Act or enactment.
Marginal note:Effect of inclusion in Schedule I
7 The inclusion of any Act in Schedule I to the Statute Roll shall not be considered as a declaration that the Act or any part of it was or was not in force immediately before the coming into force of the Revised Statutes.
Marginal note:Publication of Statutes Act
Marginal note:Printing and distribution of Revised Statutes
(2) The Revised Statutes shall be printed and bound in such style or form as the Statute Revision Commission deems best suited to the Revised Statutes and copies of the Revised Statutes shall be distributed without charge to such persons or classes of persons as the Governor in Council directs.
Marginal note:Citation of Revised Statutes
9 A chapter of the Revised Statutes may be cited and referred to in any Act, regulation, proceeding, instrument or document whatever either by its short or long title as an Act or by using the expression “Revised Statutes, 19, chapter ”, or “Chapter of the Revised Statutes”, or the abbreviation “R.S.C. 19, c. ”, or “R.S., c. ”, adding in each case the number of the particular chapter.
Marginal note:Publication of this Act
10 A copy of this Act may be included in one of the volumes that contain the Revised Statutes in addition to being printed and published with the statutes enacted at the session of Parliament in which this Act is passed.
Marginal note:Publication of appendices, etc.
11 (1) The Statute Revision Commission may cause to be printed, and included in the volumes that contain the Revised Statutes,
(a) appendices prepared by the Statute Revision Commission containing statutes of the Parliament of the United Kingdom and of the Parliament of Canada and other documents relating to the Constitution of Canada or of any of its provinces or territories;
(b) schedules prepared by the Statute Revision Commission of similar character to those published with the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1970, with any alterations or additions that seem proper; and
(c) an index to the Revised Statutes.
Marginal note:Constitutional statutes
(2) The Statute Revision Commission may cause a public general statute of Canada that is of a constitutional or quasi-constitutional nature to be printed with the appendices referred to in subsection (1) and may thereupon omit any such statute from the volumes of the Revised Statutes.
12 (1) After the completion of the Revised Statutes, the Statute Revision Commission may, if the convenience of the public will be served thereby, prepare, under and in accordance with the Statute Revision Act, supplements to the Revised Statutes showing, as amendments or additions to the Revised Statutes,
(a) the public general statutes of Canada passed after the completion of the Statute Roll but before the coming into force of the Revised Statutes,
(b) any other public general statutes of Canada not included in the Statute Roll that the Commission may consider advisable to add thereto, and
(c) any corrections required to be made to the Statute Roll by reason of any omission or error in its preparation, editing or printing,
and the provisions of this Act applicable to or in respect of the Revised Statutes apply, with such modifications as the circumstances require, to and in respect of those supplements.
Marginal note:Part of Revised Statutes
(2) A supplement to the Revised Statutes shall be deemed to be included in and to be part of the Revised Statutes, and the citation of any chapter of the Revised Statutes in accordance with section 9 shall be deemed to include any amendments thereto contained in a supplement.
Marginal note:Notes and tables
13 (1) Any explanatory notes and tables inserted by the Statute Revision Commission in the Revised Statutes form no part of those statutes and shall be held to have been inserted for convenience only.
Marginal note:Text of orders
(2) The texts of orders in council inserted by the Statute Revision Commission in the Revised Statutes shall be held to have been inserted for convenience only and shall not be held to have affected the authority to revoke or replace the orders in council so inserted.
- 1974-75-76, c. 20, Sch.
- Date modified: