Marginal note:Admiralty appeal
31. (1) The Court may, in any Admiralty appeal, in which it may think it expedient to do so, call in the aid of one or more assessors specially qualified and try and hear that appeal, wholly or partially with the assistance of those assessors.
Marginal note:Remuneration of assessors
(2) The remuneration, if any, to be paid to the assessors referred to in subsection (1) shall be determined by the Court.
- R.S., c. S-19, s. 31.
Marginal note:Three sessions
32. (1) The Court, for the purpose of hearing and determining appeals, shall hold, in each year, in the city of Ottawa, three sessions.
Marginal note:Dates of sessions
(2) The first session shall begin on the fourth Tuesday in January, the second on the fourth Tuesday in April and the third on the first Tuesday in October, in each year.
Marginal note:Dates may be varied
(3) The dates in subsection (2), fixed for the beginning of each session, may be varied by the Governor in Council, or by the Court, if notice is given in the Canada Gazette not less than four weeks before the date that may be fixed for the beginning of any session.
(4) Each session shall be continued until the business before the Court is disposed of.
- R.S., c. S-19, s. 32.
Marginal note:Power to adjourn
33. The Court may adjourn any session from time to time and meet again at the time appointed for the transaction of business.
- R.S., c. S-19, s. 33.
Marginal note:Court may be convened at any time
34. The Court may be convened at any time by the Chief Justice or, in the event of the absence or illness of the Chief Justice, by the senior puisne judge, in such manner as is prescribed by the rules of Court.
- R.S., c. S-19, s. 34.
Marginal note:Jurisdiction throughout Canada
35. The Court shall have and exercise an appellate, civil and criminal jurisdiction within and throughout Canada.
- R.S., c. S-19, s. 35.
Marginal note:Inter-governmental disputes
35.1 An appeal lies to the Court from a decision of the Federal Court of Appeal in the case of a controversy between Canada and a province or between two or more provinces.
- 1990, c. 8, s. 33.
- Date modified: