Marginal note:Authenticating agent’s duty
137. An authenticating trustee, registrar, transfer agent or other agent of an issuer has, in respect of the issue, registration of transfer and cancellation of a security of the issuer,
(a) a duty to the issuer to exercise good faith and reasonable diligence; and
(b) the same obligations to the holder or owner of a security and the same rights, privileges and immunities as the issuer.
Marginal note:Notice to agent
138. Notice to an authenticating trustee, registrar, transfer agent or other agent of an issuer is notice to the issuer in respect of the functions performed by the agent.
Marginal note:Place of meetings
139. (1) Meetings of shareholders of a company shall be held at the place within Canada provided for in the by-laws of the company or, in the absence of any such provision, at the place within Canada that the directors determine.
Marginal note:Participation by electronic means
(2) Unless the by-laws provide otherwise, any person who is entitled to attend a meeting of shareholders may participate in the meeting by means of a telephonic, electronic or other communication facility that permits all participants to communicate adequately with each other during the meeting if the company makes one available. A person who is participating in a meeting by one of those means is deemed for the purposes of this Act to be present at the meeting.
(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting the manner of and conditions for participating in a meeting by means of a telephonic, electronic or other communication facility that permits all participants to communicate adequately with each other during the meeting.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 139;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 381.
Marginal note:Calling meetings
140. (1) The directors of a company
(a) shall, after the meeting called pursuant to subsection 50(1), call the first annual meeting of shareholders of the company, which meeting must be held not later than six months after the end of the first financial year of the company, and subsequently call an annual meeting of shareholders, which meeting must be held not later than six months after the end of each financial year; and
(b) may at any time call a special meeting of shareholders.
Marginal note:Order to delay calling annual meeting
(2) Despite subsection (1), the company may apply to the court for an order extending the time for calling an annual meeting.
Marginal note:Obligation to notify Superintendent
(3) The company shall give notice of the application to the Superintendent before any hearing concerning the application and shall provide the Superintendent with a copy of any order that is issued.
Marginal note:Superintendent’s right to appear
(4) The Superintendent is entitled to appear and be heard in person or by counsel at any hearing concerning the application.
Marginal note:Authority to fix record date
(5) The directors may in advance fix a record date, that is within the prescribed period, for the determination of shareholders for any purpose, including for a determination of which shareholders are entitled to
(a) receive payment of a dividend;
(b) participate in a liquidation distribution;
(c) receive notice of a meeting of shareholders; or
(d) vote at a meeting of shareholders.
Marginal note:Determination of record date
(6) If no record date is fixed,
(a) the record date for the determination of shareholders who are entitled to receive notice of a meeting of shareholders is
(i) at the close of business on the day immediately preceding the day on which the notice is given, or
(ii) if no notice is given, the day on which the meeting is held; and
(b) the record date for the determination of shareholders for any other purpose, other than to establish a shareholder’s right to vote, is at the close of business on the day on which the directors pass a resolution in respect of that purpose.
Marginal note:Notice of record date
(7) If a record date is fixed and unless notice of the record date is waived in writing by every holder of a share of the class or series affected whose name is set out in the securities register at the close of business on the day on which the directors fix the record date, notice of the record date shall be given within the prescribed period by
(a) advertisement in a newspaper in general circulation in the place where the company’s head office is situated and in each place in Canada where the company has a transfer agent or where a transfer of its shares may be recorded; and
(b) written notice to each stock exchange in Canada on which the company’s shares are listed for trading.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 140;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 382.
- Date modified: