Marginal note:Rights preserved
227. No amendment to the incorporating instrument or by-laws of a company affects an existing cause of action or claim or liability to prosecution in favour of or against the company or its directors or officers, or any civil, criminal or administrative action or proceeding to which the company or any of its directors or officers are a party.
Marginal note:Application to amalgamate
228. On the joint application of
(a) two or more companies,
(b) one or more companies and one or more bodies corporate that are incorporated by or under an Act of Parliament, other than a federal credit union, or
(c) two or more bodies corporate incorporated by or under an Act of Parliament, other than a federal credit union,
the Minister may issue letters patent amalgamating and continuing the applicants as one company.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 228;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 2125.
Marginal note:Amalgamation agreement
229. (1) Each applicant proposing to amalgamate shall enter into an amalgamation agreement.
Marginal note:Contents of agreement
(2) Every amalgamation agreement shall set out the terms and means of effecting the amalgamation and, in particular,
(a) the name of the amalgamated company and the province in which its head office is to be situated;
(b) the name and place of ordinary residence of each proposed director of the amalgamated company;
(c) the manner in which the shares of each applicant are to be converted into shares or other securities of the amalgamated company;
(d) if any shares of an applicant are not to be converted into shares or other securities of the amalgamated company, the amount of money or securities that the holders of those shares are to receive in addition to or in lieu of shares or other securities of the amalgamated company;
(e) the manner of payment of money in lieu of the issue of fractional shares of the amalgamated company or of any other body corporate that are to be issued in the amalgamation;
(f) the proposed by-laws of the amalgamated company;
(g) details of any other matter necessary to perfect the amalgamation and to provide for the subsequent management and operation of the amalgamated company; and
(h) the proposed effective date of the amalgamation.
Marginal note:Cross ownership of shares
(3) If shares of one of the applicants are held by or on behalf of another of the applicants, other than shares held in the capacity of a personal representative or by way of security, the amalgamation agreement must provide for the cancellation of those shares when the amalgamation becomes effective without any repayment of capital in respect thereof, and no provision shall be made in the agreement for the conversion of those shares into shares of the amalgamated company.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 229;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 412.
- Date modified: