Marginal note:Power to detain and inspect conveyances
18. A member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or of any provincial or municipal police force may, at the request and in the company of an inspector, stop and detain any motor vehicle or other conveyance that the inspector believes on reasonable grounds is equipped with a device that is used or designed to be used in trade and the inspector may
(a) where necessary for the purposes of making an inspection, require the operator of that conveyance to proceed with the conveyance to an appropriate place where an inspection may be made;
(b) inspect any such device found in or on that conveyance; and
(c) examine all certificates, shipping bills, bills of lading and other documents relating to any such device.
- 1970-71-72, c. 36, s. 18.
Marginal note:Certificate of inspection
19. (1) Where an inspector inspects a device, the inspector shall issue to the owner or person in possession of the device,
(a) in the case of a device that is or is to be used in trade, a certificate showing whether the device meets the requirements of this Act and the regulations; and
(b) in the case of a device other than a device described in paragraph (a), a statement showing the results of the inspection.
Marginal note:Marking of devices
(2) Where an inspector determines that a device referred to in paragraph (1)(a) meets the requirements of this Act and the regulations, the inspector shall mark the device as prescribed and attach such seals, if any, as may be prescribed to prevent the making of adjustments to the device.
(3) Where an inspector determines that a device referred to in paragraph (1)(a) does not meet the requirements of this Act and the regulations, the inspector shall, in the manner and circumstances prescribed, attach to the device such tags and seals as may be prescribed to prevent the use of that device.
- 1970-71-72, c. 36, s. 19.
INSPECTION FEES AND CHARGES
Marginal note:Payment of fees and charges
20. (1) The fees and charges payable by a person in respect of any inspection or other service performed by an inspector under this Act shall, subject to the regulations, be paid to that inspector at the time the service is performed.
Marginal note:Fees recoverable
(2) All fees and charges payable under this Act may be recovered as a debt due to the Crown.
- 1970-71-72, c. 36, s. 20.
Marginal note:Payment of fees where dispute
21. Where a dispute arises between a trader and any other person with respect to the accuracy of a device that is used by the trader in trade and an inspector makes an inspection of the device at the request of the trader or other person, the fee for the inspection shall be paid
(a) by the trader, where the device does not meet the requirements of this Act and the regulations; and
(b) by the other person, where the device meets the requirements of this Act and the regulations.
- 1970-71-72, c. 36, s. 21.
- Date modified: