Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
2.1 This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
- 1994, c. 23, s. 5.
POWERS, DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS OF THE MINISTER
Marginal note:Powers of the Minister
3. The Minister may
(a) undertake, promote and recommend measures for the encouragement of public cooperation in wildlife conservation and interpretation;
(b) initiate conferences and meetings respecting wildlife research, conservation and interpretation;
(c) undertake programs for wildlife research and investigation, and establish and maintain laboratories and other necessary facilities for that purpose;
(d) establish such advisory committees as the Minister deems necessary and appoint the members of those committees; and
(e) coordinate and implement wildlife policies and programs in cooperation with the government of any province having an interest therein.
- R.S., 1985, c. W-9, s. 3;
- 1994, c. 23, s. 6(F).
4. (1) [Repealed, 1999, c. 31, s. 222]
Marginal note:Powers of Minister on public lands assigned
(2) Where the administration of any public lands has been assigned to the Minister pursuant to any federal law by reason of being required for wildlife research, conservation or interpretation, the Minister may
(a) take charge of all wildlife research facilities operated on those lands;
(b) provide advice relating to any wildlife research, conservation and interpretation being carried out on those lands;
(c) subject to the regulations, carry out measures for the conservation of wildlife on those lands not inconsistent with any law respecting wildlife in the province in which the lands are situated; and
(d) subject to the regulations, establish facilities or construct, maintain and operate works for wildlife research, conservation and interpretation on those lands.
Marginal note:Powers in relation to lands administered by other ministers
(3) If public lands under the administration of a minister of the Crown other than the Minister are, in the opinion of the Minister and the other minister, required for wildlife research, conservation or interpretation, the Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of both ministers, by order, authorize the Minister to exercise, with the concurrence of the other minister, the powers referred to in subsection (2) in relation to those lands or any portion of them specified in the order.
- R.S., 1985, c. W-9, s. 4;
- 1991, c. 50, s. 47;
- 1994, c. 23, s. 7;
- 1999, c. 31, s. 222;
- 2002, c. 29, s. 134.
Marginal note:Protected marine areas
4.1 (1) The Governor in Council may establish protected marine areas in any area of the sea that forms part of the internal waters of Canada, the territorial sea of Canada or the exclusive economic zone of Canada.
Marginal note:Advice and conservation measures
(2) The Minister may provide advice relating to any wildlife research, conservation and interpretation carried out in protected marine areas and may carry out measures for the conservation of wildlife in those areas.
- 1994, c. 23, s. 8;
- 1996, c. 31, s. 107.
- Date modified: