Marginal note:Criteria for review
(a) whether the matters referred to in subsection 108(3) were considered in the preparation of the plan;
(b) whether there is a need for the plan to be reviewed by an independent body such as a panel of the Board and whether there is a more appropriate body by which, or process under which, the plan could be reviewed; and
(c) whether the originator of the plan agrees to the review.
Marginal note:Notice of review
(2) The executive committee shall notify the originator of its determination.
Marginal note:Terms of reference
(3) Subject to any specification as to the form of review referred to in subsection 103(4), the executive committee shall establish the terms of reference of a panel of the Board.
Marginal note:Review of plans specified in regulations
105 (1) The executive committee may establish a panel of the Board to conduct a review of any plan of a type specified in the regulations and whose implementation it considers might have significant adverse environmental or socio-economic effects in Yukon.
Marginal note:Notice of review
(2) The executive committee shall notify the originator of the establishment of a panel of the Board.
Marginal note:Scope and terms of reference
(3) The executive committee shall specify the scope of the review of the plan, the panel’s terms of reference and a schedule for the review.
Marginal note:Publication of notice
106 (1) The executive committee shall publish, in a periodical that in its opinion has a large circulation in Yukon, a notice of the establishment of a panel of the Board under section 103 or 105 and of the manner in which the public may obtain copies of the panel’s terms of reference.
Marginal note:Modification of terms of reference
(2) If a panel’s terms of reference are modified, the executive committee shall publish, in a periodical referred to in subsection (1), a notice of the manner in which the public may obtain copies of the modification and of the reasons for it.
Marginal note:Distribution of terms of reference
(3) The executive committee shall provide copies of the terms of reference, and of any modification made to them with the reasons for the modification, to the originator of the plan, to the minister or first nation that requested or consented to the review, if any, and to any government agency, independent regulatory agency or first nation that has notified the executive committee of its interest in the plan or in plans of that kind.
Marginal note:Designation of members
(2) Every member of a panel of the Board must be present at each meeting or hearing of the panel.
(3) In the event of the absence or incapacity, or a vacancy in the office, of a member of a panel of the Board, the executive committee shall
Marginal note:Commencement of review
108 (1) A panel of the Board established to review a plan shall commence the review as soon as possible after it notifies the originator that, in its opinion, the applicable rules have been complied with.
Marginal note:Power to require additional information
(2) A panel of the Board may, before or after commencing a review of a plan, require the originator of the plan to provide any supplementary information that it considers necessary for the review.
Marginal note:Matters to be considered
(3) In conducting a review of a plan, a panel of the Board shall take the following matters into consideration:
(a) the significance of any environmental or socio-economic effects in or outside Yukon that might occur from the implementation of the plan;
(b) the significance of any adverse cumulative environmental or socio-economic effects that might occur from the implementation of the plan in combination with
(c) alternatives to the plan that would avoid or minimize any significant adverse environmental or socio-economic effects;
(d) mitigative measures and measures to compensate for any significant adverse effects;
(e) the need to protect the rights of Yukon Indian persons under final agreements, the special relationship between Yukon Indian persons and the wilderness environment of Yukon and the cultures, traditions, health and lifestyles of Yukon Indian persons and other residents of Yukon;
(f) the interests of residents of Yukon and Canadian residents outside Yukon;
(g) the capacity of any renewable resources that are likely to be significantly affected by the implementation of the plan to meet present and future needs; and
(h) the need for effects monitoring.
Marginal note:Other matters
(4) A panel of the Board conducting a review of a plan may take into consideration any other matter that it considers relevant.
Marginal note:Recommendations of panel
109 (1) On the completion of its review of a plan, a panel of the Board shall provide the originator with written recommendations, which may include a recommendation that the plan be implemented, with or without modifications, or that it not be implemented.
(2) A panel shall provide a copy of its recommendations to any minister, municipal government or first nation that requested or consented to the review.
Marginal note:Consideration to be given
(3) The originator of a plan shall give full and fair consideration to the recommendations provided to it by a panel and shall provide the Board with its reasons in writing for declining any of the recommendations.
Audits and Effects Monitoring
Marginal note:Recommendation for audit or monitoring of project
110 (1) When a designated office, the executive committee, a panel of the Board or a joint panel recommends to a decision body that a project be allowed to proceed, with or without terms and conditions, it may recommend that a project audit or that effects monitoring be conducted in respect of the project.
(2) A decision body that accepts a recommendation for a project audit or effects monitoring shall provide the results of it to the designated office that made the recommendation or, in the case of a recommendation made by the executive committee, a panel of the Board or a joint panel, to the executive committee.
Marginal note:Advice to decision body
(3) After reviewing the results of any project audit or effects monitoring provided to it by a decision body, the designated office or executive committee may provide advice to the decision body on the basis of those results.
Marginal note:Request for audit or monitoring of existing project
111 (1) A request for a project audit or for effects monitoring of an existing project may be made by ministers and first nations to the extent that and in the manner in which a request for a review may be made under subsections 95(1) to (3).
Marginal note:Report of results
(2) The executive committee shall conduct a project audit or effects monitoring of an existing project where so requested, and shall make a report of the results to the minister or first nation that made or consented to the request, and may include recommendations in the report.
Marginal note:Consideration of report
(3) The federal minister, the territorial minister or a first nation shall give full and fair consideration to any recommendations of the executive committee.
- Date modified: