Marginal note:Number of members of board
334. (1) A board of review shall consist of not fewer than three members.
Marginal note:Knowledge requirement
(2) A person is not eligible to be appointed as a member of a board of review unless the person is knowledgeable about the Canadian environment, environmental and human health or traditional aboriginal ecological knowledge.
Marginal note:Appearance before board
335. A board of review shall give any person or government a reasonable opportunity, consistent with the rules of procedural fairness and natural justice, of appearing before it, presenting evidence and making representations.
Marginal note:Withdrawal of notice of objection
336. Where a notice of objection referred to in section 333 is withdrawn by the person who filed it and no other notice of objection is filed in respect of the same matter, the Minister or Ministers may dissolve a board of review established in respect of the notice of objection.
Marginal note:Powers of board
338. (1) A board of review may award costs of, and incidental to, any proceedings before it on a final or interim basis and those costs may be fixed at a sum certain or may be taxed.
(2) A board of review may, in accordance with the rules, direct by whom and to whom any costs are to be paid and by whom they are to be taxed and allowed.
Marginal note:Absent member of board
339. Where a member of a board of review is absent or unable to proceed with or complete an inquiry, the remaining members of the board may, if there is still a quorum, proceed with or complete the inquiry.
340. (1) As soon as possible after the conclusion of an inquiry, a board of review shall submit a report to the Minister or the Ministers who established the board, together with its recommendations and the evidence that was presented to it.
Marginal note:Publication of report
(2) The report of the board of review shall be made public immediately after its receipt by the Minister or Ministers, subject to section 314 or the conditions of any other Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Rules for boards of review
341. The Minister or the Ministers may, with respect to boards of review that the Minister or the Ministers establish, make rules of either particular or general application
(a) for regulating the proceedings of the boards;
(b) for regulating the conduct of hearings, including the presentation of evidence, the making of representations, the holding of hearings, the length of hearings and the date on or before which the boards shall report;
(c) fixing the remuneration of board members and the travel and living expenses to which they are entitled;
(d) prescribing the criteria to be considered by boards in directing interim or final costs to be paid, taxed and allowed and prescribing a scale under which costs are to be taxed; and
(e) generally, for regulating the conduct and work of the boards.
- Date modified: