Marginal note:Statutory Instruments Act does not apply
Powers of Minister
Marginal note:Examination or assessment
73 The Minister may require a person who applies for rehabilitation services or compensation under this Act to undergo a medical examination or an assessment by a person specified by the Minister.
74 (1) The Minister may pay to a person who undergoes the medical examination or the assessment a reasonable amount for their travel and living expenses incurred by reason of the medical examination or the assessment.
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting the payment of those expenses.
75 A person who, at the request of the Minister, conducts a medical examination or performs an assessment for the purposes of this Act is entitled to be paid the fee that may be fixed by the Minister.
Transition to Civilian Life
Marginal note:Information and guidance
75.1 In order to aid a member or a veteran in their transition to civilian life, the Minister may provide them with information and guidance regarding the services, assistance and compensation for which they may be eligible taking into consideration their particular circumstances.
- 2015, c. 36, s. 218.
Marginal note:Application from member before transition
75.2 The Minister may consider an application for any services, assistance or compensation under this Act from a member, make a decision in respect of the application and conduct any required assessment even though the member may not be eligible for that service, assistance or compensation until they become a veteran.
- 2015, c. 36, s. 218.
Marginal note:Application made to Minister
76 (1) An application for career transition services, rehabilitation services, vocational assistance or compensation under this Act shall be made to the Minister in the form directed by the Minister and shall include any information that is required by the regulations to accompany the application.
Marginal note:Consideration of application
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Minister shall consider an application without delay after its receipt and, in considering the application, may
Marginal note:Refusal to consider
(3) If a time is prescribed for making an application, the Minister shall refuse to consider an application made after that time unless the Minister is of the opinion that the reasons for the delay are reasonable in the circumstances.
- 2005, c. 21, s. 76;
- 2011, c. 12, s. 15.
Marginal note:Decisions shall be made expeditiously
77 Any decisions of the Minister or a person designated under section 67 shall be made as informally and expeditiously as the circumstances and considerations of fairness permit.
Marginal note:Powers under Inquiries Act
Marginal note:Administering oaths, etc.
(2) Any officer or employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs authorized by the Minister may, in the course of their employment or service, administer oaths and take and receive affidavits, declarations and solemn affirmations for the purpose of or incidental to the administration of this Act, and every person so authorized has, with respect to any such oath, affidavit, declaration or affirmation, all the powers of a commissioner for administering oaths or taking affidavits.
Marginal note:Acceptance of oaths, etc.
(3) The Minister may accept, for the purpose of the administration of this Act, any oath administered or any affidavit, declaration or solemn affirmation taken or received by any person who has the powers of a commissioner for taking affidavits and who is an officer or an employee of
Marginal note:Right to inspect records, etc.
Marginal note:Persons who have right to inspect records, etc.
(2) The right to inspect under subsection (1) applies to any person who is
(a) an applicant or a representative of the applicant;
(b) a qualified health professional who is consulted by the applicant or by a representative of the applicant; and
(c) an officer or employee of the federal public administration whose duties require the inspection of those records or that material.
Marginal note:Veterans’ organizations
(3) A representative of a veterans’ organization incorporated by or under an Act of Parliament who is consulted by an applicant or by a representative of the applicant has the right to inspect for the purpose of preparing an application or deciding whether or not to prepare an application under Part 3.
Sharing of Information
Marginal note:Information that shall be made available to Minister
80 Personal information held by a government institution, as defined in section 3 of the Privacy Act shall, if requested by the Minister, be made available to the Minister for the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Information that Minister may disclose
81 Personal information that has been collected or obtained by the Minister in the administration of this Act may be disclosed by the Minister
(a) to any person or body, to the extent that the disclosure is necessary in order for the Minister to obtain from that person or body information that the Minister requires for the administration of this Act or any other enactment administered by the Minister;
(b) to any officer or employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs, to the extent that the disclosure is required for the administration of this Act or any other enactment administered by the Minister;
(c) to any person or body, to the extent that the disclosure is required for the purpose of obtaining a payment that is due to Canada by
- 2005, c. 21, ss. 81, 116;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 695;
- 2013, c. 40, s. 237.
Marginal note:Social Insurance Number
82 The Minister may, for the purpose of determining whether a person is entitled to receive an earnings loss benefit, a Canadian Forces income support benefit or a retirement income security benefit under this Act,
(a) collect the person’s Social Insurance Number; and
(b) disclose that person’s Social Insurance Number to any department or agency of the Government of Canada.
- 2005, c. 21, s. 82;
- 2015, c. 36, s. 219.
- Date modified: