Marginal note:Advance information
12.1 (1) Before the arrival of a conveyance in Canada, the owner or person in charge of a conveyance who is prescribed or any other prescribed person shall give the Agency prescribed information about the conveyance and the persons and goods on board or expected to be on board the conveyance.
(2) A person who is required to provide information under subsection (1) shall hold a valid carrier code unless they are exempt.
Marginal note:Carrier code — requirements
(3) An application for a carrier code shall be made in the prescribed form with the prescribed information.
Marginal note:Carrier code — issuance
(4) The Minister shall issue a carrier code to a person who applies for it if the application meets the requirements referred to in subsection (3) and the Minister is satisfied that the prescribed requirements and conditions for the carrier code to be issued have been met.
Marginal note:Carrier code — suspension, cancellation and reinstatement
(5) The Minister may, subject to the regulations, suspend, cancel or reinstate a carrier code.
(6) The Minister may issue a notification to any person who provides information under subsection (1) to require the person to take any specified measure with respect to the information.
Marginal note:Obligation to comply
(7) The person to whom a notification is issued shall comply with the notification.
(8) The Governor in Council may make regulations for the purposes of this section, including regulations
(a) respecting the information that must be given under subsection (1);
(b) prescribing the persons or classes of persons who must give the information under subsection (1);
(c) respecting the circumstances in which the information must be given under subsection (1);
(d) respecting the time within which and the manner in which the information must be given under subsection (1);
(e) regarding the requirements and conditions that are to be met before a carrier code may be issued;
(f) regarding the persons or classes of persons who are exempt from holding a valid carrier code; and
(g) regarding the manner and circumstances in which a carrier code may be suspended, cancelled or reinstated.
- 2009, c. 10, s. 6;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 266.
Marginal note:Obligation to answer questions and present goods
13. Every person who reports goods under section 12 inside or outside Canada or is stopped by an officer in accordance with section 99.1 shall
(a) answer truthfully any question asked by an officer with respect to the goods; and
(b) if an officer so requests, present the goods to the officer, remove any covering from the goods, unload any conveyance or open any part of the conveyance, or open or unpack any package or container that the officer wishes to examine.
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.), s. 13;
- 2001, c. 25, s. 13.
- Date modified: