Official Languages Act
Marginal note:Official Languages Act
95. The Official Languages Act applies, in respect of the management of properties and undertakings that are the subject of an agreement entered into under subsection 80(5), to the person who has entered into the agreement as if the person were a federal institution within the meaning of that Act.
Marginal note:Dissolution of Authority
96. (1) The Authority is dissolved on the date fixed by the Governor in Council and all its assets and obligations devolve to Her Majesty in right of Canada under the administration of the Minister.
Marginal note:Shares of subsidiary companies
(2) On the dissolution of the Authority,
(a) all the shares of its subsidiaries are transferred to, and held by, the Minister on behalf of Her Majesty in right of Canada;
(b) the subsidiaries shall take all necessary steps to ensure that their shareholder records are brought up to date in regard to the transfer; and
(c) the Minister becomes the appropriate minister for the purposes of the Financial Administration Act.
Marginal note:Consequences for former directors
(3) The directors of the Authority and of its subsidiaries, other than the Great Lakes Pilotage Authority, Ltd., cease to hold office on the date fixed under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Consequences for officers
(4) Neither the Minister nor a person who has entered into an agreement under subsection 80(5) is bound by any severance agreement entered into between the Authority or any of its subsidiaries and any of their officers after December 1, 1995.
Marginal note:Location of Authority
97. (1) Until the dissolution of the Authority by virtue of section 96, the Corporate Services of the Authority shall be located in Cornwall, Ontario.
Marginal note:Location of head office
(2) A not-for-profit corporation shall maintain its head office, including Corporate Services in respect of its Seaway operations, at Cornwall, Ontario.
98. (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations for the management, control, development and use of the Seaway and property and undertakings in connection with the Seaway, including regulations respecting
(a) the navigation and use by ships of the navigable waters of the Seaway, including the mooring, berthing and loading and unloading of ships and equipment for the loading and unloading of ships;
(b) the use and environmental protection of the Seaway or any land used in connection with the Seaway, including the regulation or prohibition of equipment, structures, works and operations;
(c) the removal, destruction or disposal of any ship, part of a ship, structure, work or other thing that interferes with navigation in the Seaway and the provision for the recovery of the costs incurred;
(d) the maintenance of order and the safety of persons and property in the Seaway or on any land used in connection with the Seaway;
(d.1) the information or documents that must be provided by the owner or the person in charge of a ship to the Minister or to any person who has entered into an agreement under subsection 80(5);
(e) the regulation of persons, vehicles or aircraft in the Seaway or on any land used in connection with the Seaway;
(f) the regulation or prohibition of the excavation, removal or deposit of material or of any other action that is likely to affect in any way the navigability or operation of the Seaway or to affect any of the lands adjacent to the Seaway; and
(g) the regulation or prohibition of the transportation, handling or storing in the Seaway, or on any land used in connection with the Seaway, of explosives or other substances that, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, constitute or are likely to constitute a danger or hazard to life or property.
Marginal note:Application to Crown
(2) A regulation made under subsection (1) may be made binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
Marginal note:Deeming provision
(3) Regulations made by the Authority under section 20 of the St. Lawrence Seaway Authority Act are, to the extent that they are compatible with this Act, deemed to have been made by the Governor in Council under this section.
- 1998, c. 10, s. 98;
- 2001, c. 4, s. 150(F);
- 2008, c. 21, s. 46.
- Date modified: