Marginal note:Inspection of books and papers
33 (1) Every person who is licensed to carry on any business subject to excise shall, as often as is required by the collector or any inspector and at any time within ordinary business hours, or when any operation is being carried on within the licensed premises, produce for the inspection of any such officer
(a) all books, papers and accounts, kept in accordance with the requirements of this Act, in which books, papers or accounts the officer may enter any memorandum, statement or account of quantities, in which case he shall attest the same by his initials; and
(b) all books, accounts, statements and returns whatever, and all partnership accounts used by any such person or by any co-partners in carrying on the licensed business, whether those books, accounts, statements or returns are considered private or otherwise and whether they are or are not on the licensed premises, and every officer shall be permitted to take extracts therefrom or copies thereof.
Marginal note:Officer seizing may remove books, etc.
(2) In case of seizure of any article or thing in any premises subject to excise for contravention of this Act, the seizing officer or any superior officer may take possession of and remove all or any books, papers or accounts kept under the requirements of this Act, and may retain them until the seizure is declared valid by competent authority or the article or thing seized or the proceeds thereof is, by competent authority, directed to be restored.
- R.S., c. E-12, s. 33.
Marginal note:No erasure allowed in books
34 No erasure shall be made in any books required to be kept in accordance with this Act by any person licensed under it, nor shall any leaf or leaves, or part of a leaf or leaves, be removed therefrom, and any obliterating of words or figures by any means whatever, other than by ruling through them with ink in such a manner as not to render the words or figures so ruled out incapable of being read, shall be deemed to be an erasure.
- R.S., c. E-12, s. 34.
Marginal note:Quantities to be stated
35 (1) Except as otherwise provided in this Act, every quantity of grain recorded or stated in the stock books mentioned herein, and in all returns, accounts, inventories and statements required by this Act to be kept or made, and the quantity of every other article or commodity, except fluids, used in or about any premises subject to excise, or entering into the manufacture of any article or commodity subject to excise, shall be stated in grams or kilograms.
(2) All quantities of fluids, except when otherwise provided in this Act, shall be stated in the stock books, returns, accounts, inventories and statements referred to in subsection (1), in millilitres or litres, and the quantity of any fluid, in millilitres or litres, shall, for all the purposes of this Act, be determined by weighing or gauging, in such manner as is prescribed by any ministerial regulation in that behalf.
- R.S., 1985, c. E-14, s. 35;
- 1999, c. 17, s. 144(E).
Marginal note:Monthly returns
36 All returns, unless otherwise provided in this Act, shall be made distinct and separate for each month, and shall relate to the month last preceding the day of making the returns.
- R.S., c. E-12, s. 36.
Marginal note:Determination of periods for semi-annual returns
(a) the period beginning on January 1 and ending on June 30, or the portion of that period, if any, that ends before the month on which a revocation under subsection (3) or (4) becomes effective; and
(b) the period beginning on July 1 and ending on December 31, or the portion of that period, if any, that ends before the month on which a revocation under subsection (3) or (4) becomes effective.
Marginal note:Semi-annual returns
(2) On application by a licensed brewer in the form and manner specified by the Minister, the Minister may, in writing, authorize the brewer to make a return for each six-month period in a particular year if
(a) the brewer has been licensed for a period exceeding one year;
(b) the total of all duty imposed, levied and collected on beer and malt liquor brewed by the brewer and any person associated with the brewer in the year ending immediately before the particular year did not exceed $120,000;
(c) the total of all duty imposed, levied and collected on beer and malt liquor brewed by the brewer and any person associated with the brewer in the particular year does not exceed $120,000; and
(d) the brewer is in compliance with the Act.
Marginal note:Deemed revocation
(3) An authorization under subsection (2) is deemed to be revoked if the total of all duties imposed, levied and collected on beer and malt liquor by the brewer and any person associated with the brewer exceeds $120,000 in a year, which revocation is effective as of the first day after the end of the six-month period in which the excess occurs.
Marginal note:Revocation — other
(4) The Minister may revoke an authorization if
Marginal note:Notice of revocation
(5) If the Minister revokes an authorization under subsection (4), the Minister shall send a notice in writing of the revocation to the brewer and shall specify in the notice the month for which the revocation becomes effective.
- 2010, c. 25, s. 105.
Marginal note:Time for making return — general
Marginal note:Time for making return — semi-annual
(2) Despite subsection (1), if a licensed brewer is authorized by the Minister to make a return for a six-month period under subsection 36.1(2), the return shall be made to the collector on or before the tenth working day of the month following the end of the six-month period.
- R.S., 1985, c. E-14, s. 37;
- R.S., 1985, c. 12 (4th Supp.), s. 57;
- 2010, c. 25, s. 106.
Marginal note:How attested
38 (1) Every account or return rendered as provided under this Act shall be made and signed by the person carrying on the business to which it relates, or his agent, and shall also be signed by the foreman, clerk, chief workman or other person employed on the premises where the business is carried on who has personal knowledge of the matters dealt with.
Marginal note:Further attestation
(2) The collector or any superior officer may, at any time after the making of the account or return referred to in subsection (1), require any other person employed on the premises who, in his opinion, is best acquainted with the quantity of material used and goods produced, subject to excise, to testify on oath before him respecting the correctness of the account or return.
- R.S., c. E-12, s. 38.
39 Every person who signs an account or statement that is rendered as required under this Act shall certify on the face of that account or statement as follows:
I, , certify that the several accounts included in this return are true according to their purport, and that I have personal knowledge of the matters set out therein.
- R.S., 1985, c. E-14, s. 39;
- R.S., 1985, c. 12 (4th Supp.), s. 58.
Marginal note:Officer may question
40 (1) Any collector, officer or superior officer may, when an account or statement is made, or at any time thereafter, put to the person or persons making it such questions as the collector, officer or superior officer may deem necessary.
(2) [Repealed, R.S., 1985, c. 12 (4th Supp.), s. 59]
Marginal note:Officer may examine
(3) The collector or officer may, when the account or statement is made, or at any time thereafter, examine under oath, with respect to the truth of the statement, any person or persons employed or who have, at any time, been employed on or about the premises subject to excise, to which the account relates, or any person doing business therewith, selling material thereto or buying goods therefrom, and also any common carrier, agent, clerk or other person who has been concerned in the removal of any of the goods or material to or from any premises subject to excise, or in taking or keeping an account of those removals, and may reject all such written statements as are shown by the evidence to be incorrect or unreliable, and that rejection shall render the person making the return liable to the same punishment as he would be liable to if no return had been made.
- R.S., 1985, c. E-14, s. 40;
- R.S., 1985, c. 12 (4th Supp.), s. 59.
Marginal note:Mode of giving notices and returns
41 (1) All notices, lists, descriptions, returns, inventories, statements, accounts and reports required by this Act to be given or made to any officer or person shall be held to be validly so given or made if they are delivered to the officer or person, as the case may be, or if they are left at the usual place of business or residence of the officer or person, within the period or time fixed in this Act without any reference to the mode by which the notices, lists, descriptions, returns, inventories, statements, accounts or reports were conveyed to the officer or person.
Marginal note:Burden of proof
(2) The burden of proof that all notices, lists, descriptions, returns, inventories, statements, accounts and reports referred to in subsection (1) have been given or made, as required by this Act, lies on the person whose duty it is to give or make them.
- R.S., c. E-12, s. 41.
- Date modified: