Sessional Allowances From April 1, 2004
Marginal note:Members of Parliament — fiscal year 2004-2005
Marginal note:Subsequent fiscal years
(2) Despite section 55, the annual sessional allowance that shall be paid for each fiscal year subsequent to March 31, 2005 to
(a) members of the Senate is the sessional allowance calculated in accordance with paragraph (b) minus $25,000; and
(b) members of the House of Commons is the sessional allowance for the previous fiscal year plus the amount obtained by multiplying that sessional allowance by the index described in section 67.1 for the previous calendar year.
- 2005, c. 16, s. 4.
Marginal note:How allowance paid
56 The sessional allowances payable under section 55.1 shall be paid in monthly instalments on the last day of each month.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-1, s. 56;
- 2005, c. 16, s. 4.
General Provisions Regarding Sessional Allowances
Marginal note:Deductions for non-attendance
57 (1) A deduction at the rate of $120 per day shall be made from the sessional allowance of a member of either House of Parliament for every day beyond 21 on which the member does not attend a sitting of that House if it sits on that day.
Marginal note:Days not reckoned
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), in the case of a member elected or appointed after the commencement of a session, no day of a session previous to the election or appointment shall be reckoned as one of the twenty-one days referred to in that subsection.
Marginal note:Reckoning days of attendance
(3) Each day during a session on which
(a) a member of either House of Parliament did not attend a sitting thereof by reason of public or official business,
(b) there has been no sitting of the House in consequence of its having adjourned over that day, or
(c) the member is unable to attend by reason of being ill,
shall be reckoned as a day of attendance of the member at that session.
Marginal note:Payment of sessional allowance on death
(4) Where a member of either House of Parliament dies, the sessional allowance of the member shall be paid to the end of the month in which the death occurs.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-1, s. 57;
- 2001, c. 20, s. 3.
Marginal note:Service in armed forces not computed
58 In the calculation pursuant to this Part of any deduction from the sessional allowance of a member on account of absence, days that were spent by the member
(b) in the Canadian Forces or in any other armed forces of Her Majesty while those forces are on active service in consequence of any war,
shall not be computed.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-1, s. 58;
- R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 61.
- Date modified: