Marginal note:Deputy head
20.4 (1) The Senate Ethics Officer has the rank of a deputy head of a department of the Government of Canada and has the control and management of the office of the Senate Ethics Officer.
Marginal note:Powers to contract
(2) The Senate Ethics Officer may, in carrying out the work of the office of the Senate Ethics Officer, enter into contracts, memoranda of understanding or other arrangements.
(3) The Senate Ethics Officer may employ any officers and employees and may engage the services of any agents, advisers and consultants that the Senate Ethics Officer considers necessary for the proper conduct of the work of the office of the Senate Ethics Officer.
(4) The Senate Ethics Officer may, subject to the conditions he or she sets, authorize any person to exercise any powers under subsection (2) or (3) on behalf of the Senate Ethics Officer that he or she may determine.
(5) The salaries of the officers and employees of the office of the Senate Ethics Officer shall be fixed according to the scale provided by law.
(6) The salaries of the officers and employees of the office of the Senate Ethics Officer, and any casual expenses connected with the office, shall be paid out of moneys provided by Parliament for that purpose.
Marginal note:Estimates to be prepared
(7) Prior to each fiscal year, the Senate Ethics Officer shall cause to be prepared an estimate of the sums that will be required to pay the charges and expenses of the office of the Senate Ethics Officer during the fiscal year.
Marginal note:Inclusion in Government estimates
(8) The estimate referred to in subsection (7) shall be considered by the Speaker of the Senate and then transmitted to the President of the Treasury Board, who shall lay it before the House of Commons with the estimates of the government for the fiscal year.
- 2004, c. 7, s. 2.
Marginal note:Duties and functions
20.5 (1) The Senate Ethics Officer shall perform the duties and functions assigned by the Senate for governing the conduct of members of the Senate when carrying out the duties and functions of their office as members of the Senate.
Marginal note:Privileges and immunities
(2) The duties and functions of the Senate Ethics Officer are carried out within the institution of the Senate. The Senate Ethics Officer enjoys the privileges and immunities of the Senate and its members when carrying out those duties and functions.
Marginal note:General direction of committee
(3) The Senate Ethics Officer shall carry out those duties and functions under the general direction of any committee of the Senate that may be designated or established by the Senate for that purpose.
Marginal note:Conflict of Interest Act
(4) For greater certainty, the administration of the Conflict of Interest Act in respect of public office holders who are ministers of the Crown, ministers of state or parliamentary secretaries is not part of the duties and functions of the Senate Ethics Officer or the committee.
Marginal note:Clarification — powers, etc., of the Senate
(5) For greater certainty, this section shall not be interpreted as limiting in any way the powers, privileges, rights and immunities of the Senate or its members.
- 2004, c. 7, s. 2;
- 2006, c. 9, s. 26.
- Date modified: