Marginal note:Power to call in aid
19. An officer may call on other persons to assist the officer in exercising any power of search, seizure or retention that the officer is authorized under this Part to exercise, and any person so called on is authorized to exercise the power.
Marginal note:Recording of reasons for decision
19.1 If an officer decides to exercise powers under subsection 18(1), the officer shall record in writing reasons for the decision.
Marginal note:Report to President and the Centre
20. If the currency or monetary instruments have been seized under section 18, the officer who seized them shall without delay report the circumstances of the seizure to the President and to the Centre.
- 2000, c. 17, s. 20;
- 2005, c. 38, s. 127.
Marginal note:Mail to be made available to an officer
21. (1) On request of an officer, any mail that is being sent from a place in Canada to a place in a foreign country and that contains or is suspected to contain currency or monetary instruments that are of a value equal to or greater than the amount prescribed for the purpose of subsection 12(1) shall be submitted by the Canada Post Corporation to an officer.
Marginal note:Mail in the course of post
(2) All mail that is submitted to an officer under this section remains, for the purposes of the Canada Post Corporation Act, in the course of post unless it is retained or seized under this Part.
Marginal note:Notice of retention or seizure
(3) If mail is retained or seized under this Part, notice of the retention or seizure shall be given in writing to the Canada Post Corporation within 60 days after the retention or seizure unless the mail has, before the expiry of that period, been returned to the Corporation.
Marginal note:Mail subject to customs laws
(4) An officer shall deal with all mail submitted to the officer under this section in accordance with the laws relating to customs and this Part and, subject to those laws and this Part, shall return it to the Canada Post Corporation.
Marginal note:Non-mailable matter
(5) Any non-mailable matter found by an officer in mail made available to the officer under this section shall be dealt with in accordance with the regulations made under the Canada Post Corporation Act.
- 2000, c. 17, s. 21;
- 2001, c. 41, s. 59.
Transfer to the Minister of Public Works and Government Services
Marginal note:When forfeiture under s. 14(5)
22. (1) An officer who retains currency or monetary instruments forfeited under subsection 14(5) shall send the currency or monetary instruments to the Minister of Public Works and Government Services.
Marginal note:When seizure or payment of a penalty
(2) An officer who seizes currency or monetary instruments or is paid a penalty under subsection 18(2) shall send the currency or monetary instruments or the penalty, as the case may be, to the Minister of Public Works and Government Services.
- 2000, c. 17, s. 22;
- 2001, c. 41, s. 60.
- Date modified: