COMING INTO FORCE OF REGULATIONS
Marginal note:Coming into force
9. (1) No regulation shall come into force on a day earlier than the day on which it is registered unless
(a) it expressly states that it comes into force on a day earlier than that day and is registered within seven days after it is made, or
(b) it is a regulation of a class that, pursuant to paragraph 20(b), is exempted from the application of subsection 5(1),
in which case it shall come into force, except as otherwise authorized or provided by or under the Act pursuant to which it is made, on the day on which it is made or on such later day as may be stated in the regulation.
Marginal note:Where regulation comes into force before registration
(2) Where a regulation is expressed to come into force on a day earlier than the day on which it is registered, the regulation-making authority shall advise the Clerk of the Privy Council in writing of the reasons why it is not practical for the regulation to come into force on the day on which it is registered.
- 1970-71-72, c. 38, s. 9.
PUBLICATION IN CANADA GAZETTE
Marginal note:Official gazette of Canada
(2) The Governor in Council may determine the form and manner in which the Canada Gazette, or any part of it, is published, including publication by electronic means.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-22, s. 10;
- 2000, c. 5, s. 58.
Marginal note:Regulations to be published in Canada Gazette
11. (1) Subject to any regulations made pursuant to paragraph 20(c), every regulation shall be published in the Canada Gazette within twenty-three days after copies thereof are registered pursuant to section 6.
Marginal note:No conviction under unpublished regulation
(2) No regulation is invalid by reason only that it was not published in the Canada Gazette, but no person shall be convicted of an offence consisting of a contravention of any regulation that at the time of the alleged contravention was not published in the Canada Gazette unless
(a) the regulation was exempted from the application of subsection (1) pursuant to paragraph 20(c), or the regulation expressly provides that it shall apply according to its terms before it is published in the Canada Gazette; and
(b) it is proved that at the date of the alleged contravention reasonable steps had been taken to bring the purport of the regulation to the notice of those persons likely to be affected by it.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-22, s. 11;
- R.S., 1985, c. 31 (4th Supp.), s. 103.
- Date modified: