Safe Means from Deck to Hold
11. (1) Where the processes are carried on in a hold the depth of which exceeds 1.52 m, safe means of access shall be provided from the deck to the hold.
(2) The safe means of access referred to in subsection (1) shall ordinarily be by ladder, properly secured, which shall comply with the following conditions:
(a) it shall provide foothold of a depth, including any space behind the ladder, of not less than 115 mm, a width of not less than 250 mm, and a firm handhold;
(b) it shall not be recessed under the deck more than is reasonably necessary to keep it clear of the cargo hatchway, unless there is means of access to the ladder otherwise than via the cargo hatchway;
(c) subject to subsection (3), ladders shall, so far as practicable, be in a continuous vertical line from the upper deck to the bottom of the hold, unless a safe landing is provided at the lower end of any discontinued ladder to prevent a descending worker from stepping off the bottom rung into space; and
(d) where a section of a ladder ends at a hatchway coaming, arrangements for secure handhold and foothold (e.g. cleats or cups) shall be provided on such coaming; such foothold to have a depth, including any space behind the said arrangements, of not less than 115 mm, with a width of not less than 250 mm.
(3) The safe means of access referred to in subsection (1) may be provided by a sloping ladder or stairway, provided the ladder or stairway meets the requirements of paragraph (2)(a) and subsection (4).
(4) Where the processes are carried on in the hold of an undecked vessel, the employer of the workers shall provide the safe means referred to in subsection (1), which safe means shall,
(a) if it consists of a ladder, be equipped with adequate means for securing the ladder; and
(b) if it consists of a rope ladder, also comply with the requirements of section 9.
(5) There shall be room to pass between any winch or other obstruction and the means of access referred to in subsection (1).
(6) Shaft tunnels shall be equipped with adequate handhold or foothold on each side.
- SOR/79-784, s. 5.
12. (1) The safe means required by subsection 8(1) and by sections 9 and 10, and all places at which workers are employed, or to which they may be required to proceed in the course of their employment, shall be efficiently lighted while the processes are being carried on.
(2) The lighting required by subsection (1) shall not interfere with the navigation of other vessels.
13. (1) Suitable gear shall be provided for lifting removable hatch beams on and off.
(2) The suitable gear shall render it unnecessary for workers to go upon the beam.
14. Removable hatch covers and beams shall be marked to identify the deck, hatch and hatch section to which they belong, unless interchangeability renders all or some of such information unnecessary.
15. To ensure the safety of the workers, hatch beams and covers shall be maintained in good condition.
- Date modified: