9. A prescribed consumer textile article that is clearly identified by means of a label as a second-hand article is exempt from the application of section 3 of the Act.
- SOR/89-505, s. 1;
- SOR/94-247, s. 4.
9.1 The prohibition in paragraph 3(a) of the Act does not apply to a sale by mail order of any consumer textile article that is piece goods (including narrow fabrics) if the information in respect of the article required by paragraphs 11(1)(a) and (c) is shown in the prescribed manner, at the time the article is ordered, in the mail order catalogue of the dealer who sells the article.
- SOR/79-655, s. 1;
- SOR/89-505, s. 1.
10. A consumer textile article that contains filling, stuffing, padding or interlining for which the only representation label that is required is provided in accordance with the laws of a province is exempt from the application of paragraph 3(b) of the Act.
- SOR/89-505, s. 2;
- SOR/94-247, s. 5.
Information to be Shown in Label
11. (1) Every representation label that is required to meet the requirements for a disclosure label shall show
(a) the textile fibre content of the article in the manner prescribed in Part III;
(b) subject to subsections (2) and 12(1), the name and postal address of the dealer; and
(c) where there is a representation that the article or any fabric or fibre therein is imported, the name of the country of origin, unless the representation is made in another label applied to the article and the name of the country of origin is shown in that other label.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply where a consumer textile article is a remnant and
(a) the name of the dealer who manufactured the fabric of which the article is a remnant is not known; or
(b) the article is sold or displayed for sale with other remnants in a manner described in section 18 and not all the remnants sold or displayed in such manner are remnants or fabric manufactured by the same dealer.
(3) The information required by paragraph (1)(a) shall be shown in the label in both the English and French languages.
(4) Subsection (3) does not apply where the consumer textile article is or is to be sold to the public in an area where only one of the official languages is in use continuously by the public for the purpose of making consumer purchases and the information required by paragraph (1)(a) is shown in that official language.
(5) For the purpose of subsection (4), “area” means
(a) the geographical area from which the store, shop or other trade outlet, in or by which a product is or is to be sold to the public, draws most of its customers; or
(b) where the product is or is to be sold by mail order, the geographical area in which reside or are located all the persons who have, as part of their postal addresses, the name of the same city, town or place as has the consumer to whom the product is or is to be sold.
- SOR/87-247, s. 2;
- SOR/94-247, s. 6.
- Date modified: