Manner of Showing Statement of Quantity
47. A commodity that is sold or offered for sale on the basis of number or measure shall show a statement of quantity
(a) in the case of a commodity, other than a commodity referred to in paragraph 46(h), that is packaged before being offered for sale, on the side of the package containing the commodity that is visible to the purchaser under normal or customary conditions of sale or use; and
(b) in the case of a commodity that is not packaged before being offered for sale, on a part of the commodity itself that is visible to the purchaser under normal or customary conditions of sale or use or on a shipping bill, bill of lading or other document accompanying the commodity.
- SOR/90-118, s. 14.
47.1 The statement of quantity for a commodity set out in column I of Schedule I shall consist of at least one statement per parameter set out in column II.
- SOR/2005-297, s. 8.
48. (1) When the statement of quantity is shown on the package or on the commodity itself, the statement shall be shown in a manner easily legible to the purchaser and shall be in letters of not less than 3 mm or 1/8 inch in height if printed or written by hand and in letters of not less than 2 mm or 1/12 inch in height if printed or written by any other means.
(2) When the statement of quantity is shown on a shipping bill, bill of lading or any other document accompanying the commodity, it shall be shown in a manner easily legible to the purchaser.
(3) Where the price of a commodity is determined on the basis of a unit of measurement, that unit of measurement shall be shown on the statement of quantity in a manner at least as prominent as any other unit of measurement shown on the statement of quantity.
Limits of Error for Commodities and Services
49. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the prescribed limits of error for the purposes of sections 9 and 33 of the Act are those set out in Column II of an item of the appropriate Part of Schedule II for the stated quantity set out in Column I of that item.
(2) Where a commodity is weighed or measured on a device for which the tolerance is prescribed in section 192, 193 or 268, the limits of error for the commodity shall be one and one-half times the in-service tolerance prescribed for the device.
(3) Where the quantity of a commodity is stated in a unit of measurement that is not set out in column I of the applicable Part of Schedule II, the quantity shall be converted to the appropriate unit set out in column I of that Part and the limit of error set out in column II for that quantity shall apply.
- SOR/89-570, s. 2, 6(F);
- SOR/98-115, s. 5;
- SOR/2005-297, s. 9.
49.1 For the purposes of section 34 of the Act, the limit of error applicable to the weight declaration of a commodity used to determine rail transportation charges for the commodity, obtained by in-motion weighing of cars carrying the commodity is one per cent of the declared net weight.
- SOR/90-278, s. 4.
50. (1) When an inspection is made of an individually measured commodity that is in a liquid state and has its quantity stated in units of volume, the quantity of the commodity shall be determined at the temperature at which it is customarily measured for sale.
(2) When an inspection is made of an individually measured commodity that is in a liquid state and has its quantity stated in units of volume at 15°C, the quantity of the commodity shall be determined at a temperature of 15°C.
- SOR/93-234, s. 2(F);
- SOR/2005-297, s. 10.
- Date modified: