282. (1) In this section, “transfer point” means the fixed point in a measuring assembly where transfer of possession of a quantity of liquid contained in the measuring assembly takes place.
(2) A meter shall be installed so that the piping between the meter and the transfer point remains full of liquid during and after a transaction unless the liquid, because of its nature, cannot remain in the meter, and
(a) in the case of a meter installed to deliver a quantity of liquid, so that the piping downstream of the transfer point shall empty at the completion of the transaction; and
(b) in the case of a meter installed to receive a quantity of liquid, so that the piping upstream of the transfer point shall empty at the completion of the transaction.
(3) Subject to section 289 and except as otherwise allowed by any additional specifications established pursuant to section 27, a meter shall be installed
(a) so that all piping downstream of the meter, where the meter is installed to deliver a quantity of liquid, or all piping upstream of the meter, where the meter is installed to receive a quantity of liquid, may be readily examined; and
(b) with only one delivery outlet unless the meter is installed
(i) so that diversion of flow is readily apparent to the purchaser or the purchaser’s agent or mandatary by automatic means such as visible valves or lights with explanatory signs that indicate which outlets are in operation,
(ii) to fuel or defuel aircraft, or
(iii) to be used exclusively to load vehicle-mounted propane tanks with a capacity greater than 5 000 L.
- SOR/90-118, s. 38;
- SOR/2014-111, ss. 35(E), 46.
283. A meter, other than a slow-flow meter, slow-flow dispenser, dispenser of the service station type for motor fuel or a meter equipped with a preset valve, shall have a quick-acting valve installed near its outlet for examination purposes.
- SOR/93-234, s. 2(F);
- SOR/2014-111, s. 46.
284. A meter, other than a slow-flow meter, shall be installed so that it has a convenient means for delivering the measured product when the meter installation is examined.
- SOR/2014-111, s. 36.
285. Any automatic valve that can have a throttling effect on the flow of liquid shall be installed downstream from the meter.
286. (1) Unless otherwise authorized by specifications established by the Minister, the outlet end of the delivery hose of a pump-supplied meter shall be equipped with a spring-loaded anti-drain valve or its equivalent.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a meter with collapsible hoses used on aircraft refuellers or to a meter designed for defuelling aircraft.
- Date modified: