5. (1) An application for a permit shall be made to the Regional Director for the region where the applicant operates a hatchery.
(2) Every application for a permit shall have annexed thereto a copy of the plans and specifications of the hatchery showing
(a) the dimensions of the rooms and the position of doors, windows, stairways and drains;
(b) the lighting, heating and ventilating systems;
(c) the location of equipment; and
(d) the materials to be used in the construction of all floors, walls and ceilings.
(3) Where the premises in respect of which a permit was issued are not operated as a hatchery for a period of 12 consecutive months, the permit shall expire at the end of that period.
- SOR/82-671, s. 2.
6. (1) The Minister may refuse to issue a permit to an applicant therefor if the Regional Director for the region where the applicant proposes to operate a hatchery is of the opinion that the hatchery is not maintained and equipped in accordance with section 8 and cannot be operated within that section.
(2) The Regional Director referred to in subsection (1) shall submit his opinion to the Minister in the form of a report.
(3) Where, pursuant to subsection (1), the Minister refuses to issue a permit, he shall so inform the applicant therefor and provide the applicant with a copy of the Regional Director’s report referred to in subsection (2).
(4) An applicant whose application for a permit has been refused may, within 60 days after being informed by the Minister of that refusal and receiving a copy of the Regional Director’s report, request the Minister to reconsider his application and may accompany that request with any rebuttal of the Regional Director’s report.
(5) The Minister, on receipt of a request made pursuant to subsection (4), may confirm or reverse his refusal to issue a permit.
- SOR/82-671, s. 3.
7. A separate permit shall be issued and a permit number assigned for each of the premises in which a hatchery is to be operated.
8. (1) Every hatcheryman shall, in respect of a hatchery operated by him,
(a) permit the hatchery to be used only for the receiving, traying, incubating or hatching of eggs, the cleaning of equipment and the sexing, sorting and packing of chicks;
(b) maintain the hatchery in a sanitary condition;
(c) maintain the incubators in a sanitary condition so that the count of bacteria, coliforms or moulds therein does not constitute a hazard to the health of chicks;
(d) provide adequate space in the hatchery for the receiving, traying, incubating and hatching of eggs and for the cleaning of equipment, dry storage and the sexing, sorting and packing of chicks;
(e) provide at or near the hatchery adequate washing and toilet facilities for all persons employed in the hatchery;
(f) provide adequate ventilation and lighting in the hatchery;
(g) provide incubators in the hatchery that deliver the standard of heat, humidity and air circulation recommended by the manufacturer; and
(h) provide in the hatchery satisfactory means to control flies, rodents and other vermin.
(2) The floors, walls and ceilings of every hatchery shall be of hard finish suitable for washing.
- Date modified: