25. No person shall rebuild or repair a non-conforming structure that is destroyed or damaged to an extent greater than 50 per cent of the value of the structure unless it is made to conform with the requirements of these Regulations for the district in which it is located.
26. Except for the enlarging, rebuilding or repairing of non-conforming structures referred to in section 24 or 25, no person shall make structural alterations to a non-conforming structure.
27. No person shall change a non-conforming use to another non-conforming use and if any non-conforming use is discontinued, the subsequent use shall conform to these Regulations.
28. The non-conforming use of any land or structure shall not be affected by reason of a change of lessee, sublessee or occupant.
29. (1) No person shall carry on a home occupation other than the practice of medicine or dentistry, the practice of law, the selling of insurance or real estate, the repair of watches, radios, television sets or electrical appliances or for such other purpose as the director-general authorizes in writing.
(2) Every person who intends to carry on a home occupation shall notify the director-general in writing prior to the commencement of the home occupation.
(3) Every person carrying on a home occupation shall
(a) provide parking and traffic circulation facilities satisfactory to the director-general;
(b) refrain from and prevent any exterior display or advertisement other than one name plate not exceeding two square feet in area;
(c) not allow the unenclosed storage of materials, finished products, mechanical or other equipment on his lot other than the unenclosed storage of such material, products or equipment as are ordinarily used for housekeeping purposes, hobbies or for medical, dental or other professional purposes;
(d) prevent any undue noise, vibration, fumes, smoke, dust or odour emanating from such home occupation; and
(e) employ only one member of his family residing on the premises and one secretary, stenographer or assistant who is not a member of his family.
- SOR/92-61, s. 8.
MOVING OF STRUCTURES
30. (1) No person shall move any structure or part thereof to any other location unless that structure or part thereof is made to conform to the provisions of these Regulations applicable to the district to which it is to be moved.
(2) Before moving a building or portion thereof from one location to another, the owner thereof shall enter into a performance agreement with the director-general containing an undertaking of the owner to pay all damages arising out of the move and such other terms and conditions as the director-general deems necessary.
- SOR/92-61, s. 8.
USES INCIDENTAL TO CONSTRUCTION
31. (1) No person shall erect any temporary structures on land other than a tool shed, scaffold or other structure required during any period of construction of a main or accessory building and such temporary structures shall be removed by the holder of the building permit or his agents immediately following completion of such main or accessory building.
(2) Where any construction on a lot is discontinued or abandoned, all temporary structures on that lot shall immediately be removed by the holder of the building permit and in default thereof the director-general may remove all temporary structures and charge the costs of such removal to the holder of the building permit.
(3) No person shall use an accessory building prior to the erection of the main building unless
(a) a building permit has been obtained for the main building; and
(b) the accessory building is necessary for the storage of tools and materials for use in connection with the construction of the main building or as a construction office.
(4) Nothing in this section prohibits the use of part of a lot for the storage of building supplies or equipment for any reasonable period required for the construction of a building or buildings on the lot if permission is first obtained from the director-general.
- SOR/92-61, s. 8.
- Date modified: