19. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), all electrical wiring, lighting or equipment inside a storage facility or attached to it shall comply with the requirements of the Canadian Electrical Code, (CSA Standard C22.1 — 1962 and amendments thereto), as prescribed for ordinary locations. A storage facility containing bagged ammonium nitrate or ammonium nitrate mixed fertilizer and no other electrical hazard is designated an “ordinary location”.
(2) All parts of an electrical system not installed in ordinary locations shall comply with those requirements of the Canadian Electrical Code applicable to the particular hazards present. A storage facility containing bulk ammonium nitrate or ammonium nitrate mixed fertilizer and no other electrical hazard is designated a Class II Division II location.
20. The design, construction and maintenance of a storage facility shall be such as to prevent the normal ingress of rain and ground water.
21. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), smoking, or the use of heaters, welding or other equipment with an open flame or an exposed electric element, inside a storage facility is prohibited.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), welding or cutting repairs may be made inside a storage facility to metal equipment or components of the storage facility if the broken part cannot be removed for repair out-of-doors and the following precautions are taken:
(a) all ammonium nitrate and other dangerous or combustible materials stored within 10 feet of the repair site shall be removed;
(b) the welding or cutting operation shall be completely screened to prevent sparks from leaving the enclosed clean area and if the floor in this area is constructed of wood or other combustible material, its exposed surface shall be drenched with water or protected against sparks by a flame-proof tarpaulin or a metal sheet;
(c) a fire extinguisher as prescribed in section 24 and a water hose, or a static supply of not less than 45 gallons of water, shall be available at the repair site; and
(d) the operation shall be under the supervision of a qualified and responsible person who shall remain at the repair site for at least 30 minutes after the completion of repair operations.
(3) If it is necessary to heat a storage facility, it is recommended that the heat be supplied by an electric heater which complies with section 19 or by low pressure steam, hot water or other enclosed heat transfer media with the heat source located in a detached building at least 10 feet from the storage facility, and heating systems which do not comply with this recommendation shall be approved by the Commission.
(4) Heating equipment shall be designed and installed in accordance with the National Building Code of Canada, except that no part of the equipment with an open flame or other source of ignition shall be installed in the storage area.
22. A weatherproof sign bearing the words “AMMONIUM NITRATE” and “NO SMOKING OR OPEN FLAMES”, or other wording acceptable to the Commission, in block letters at least two inches high on a white or a light coloured background shall be posted in a conspicuous place near each entrance to the storage facility.
- Date modified: