Lake Erie and Northern Railway Traffic Rules and Regulations
C.R.C., c. 1380
Lake Erie and Northern Railway Company Traffic Rules and Regulations (By-Law Number 42)
1. These Rules and Regulations may be cited as the Lake Erie and Northern Railway Traffic Rules and Regulations.
2. No person shall travel in any of the company’s trains without having obtained from the company, or from some other company or person duly authorized in that behalf by the company, a ticket entitling him to travel therein.
3. Every passenger shall show his ticket or his ticket receipt, when and so often as he shall be required to do so to the conductor or any duly authorized servant of the company, and shall also, when required to do so, either deliver up his ticket or pay the fare demandable for his passage.
4. Every passenger who refuses to pay his fare, or produce and deliver up his ticket upon the request of the conductor, may, by the conductor of the train and the train servants of the company, be expelled from and put out of the train with his baggage at any usual stopping place, provided that the conductor shall first stop the train and use no unnecessary force.
5. No person shall alter or deface any ticket after it has been issued and while it is available for use or attempt to use any ticket which has been altered or defaced.
6. No person, except a servant or agent of the company in the performance of his duty, shall open any vestibule door or stand upon the steps or platform of any car while it is in motion, or entrain on or detrain from, or attempt to entrain on or detrain from any such car while it is in motion, and no person shall travel or be in any baggage car or other car not intended for the conveyance of passengers.
7. Passengers and all other persons using the trains, stations or other premises occupied by the company, shall obey the reasonable requests of the station master, conductor or other officer of the company, with a view to maintaining order and decorum therein and thereon.
8. No passenger shall occupy more seat space in any car than is sufficient for one person, or place baggage or articles of any kind upon the seats to the exclusion or inconvenience of other passengers, or in the aisles or vestibules, or place any unreasonably bulky or heavy parcel in the parcel racks.
9. Except by permission of a duly authorized officer of the company, and under such conditions as such officer shall impose, no person suffering or apparently suffering from any infectious or contagious disease or disorder shall enter or remain, and no person having the custody, care or charge of any such person shall cause or permit such person to enter or remain in or upon any train, station or other premises occupied by the company.
10. No person in a state of intoxication or in an unfit or improper condition to be a passenger shall enter or remain in or upon any train, station or other premises occupied by the company, and any person violating this section may, in addition to any other liability thereby incurred, be forthwith removed from such train, station or other premises occupied by the company.
11. No person shall at any time while in or upon trains, stations or other premises occupied by the company, use any threatening, abusive, indecent, profane or offensive language or gestures or behave in an abusive, disorderly, indecent or offensive manner, or commit any nuisance, or molest or otherwise interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person upon the company’s premises, and any person violating this section may, in addition to any liability thereby incurred, be forthwith removed from such train, station or other premises occupied by the company.
12. Except by permission of an officer or employee of the company duly authorized in that regard and under such conditions as such officer or such employee shall impose, no person shall take any dog, bird, reptile or other animal or any article or thing which is liable to cause inconvenience or annoyance to any passenger or damage to property into any station or into any car or vehicle upon the railway.
13. No person shall take into any station or any car or vehicle upon the railway any loaded firearm, or any inflammable, corrosive or offensive article, substance or matter, or any article, substance or matter liable to explode or to become dangerous to any passenger or property.
14. No person shall smoke in any station or in any car or portion of any station or car not provided for smoking, or in or upon any part of the railway where smoking is expressly prohibited by the company, or elsewhere in or upon the railway if requested by any servant or agent of the company not to do so.
15. No person shall throw or drop from any car or vehicle upon the railway any article or thing capable of injuring, damaging or endangering any person or property.
16. No person shall write obscene or offensive words, or make signs or pictures on the walls or any part of any car, station, platform or other property of the company, or commit any nuisance thereon, or damage, mark, deface or injure any car, station, platform or other property of the company.
17. Except by permission of an officer of the company duly authorized in that behalf, no person while in any car or vehicle upon the railway, or upon any property of the company, shall advertise, sell or expose or offer for sale any article or goods whatever, or advertise, solicit custom or canvass for or carry on any business, trade, occupation, calling or employment of any description, or solicit alms, reward or charity for himself or any other person.
18. No person shall spit upon the floor or upon any part of any car or vehicle upon the railway, or upon the platform of any station or upon the floor or walls of any room or passage in any station.
19. Every person in charge of any private carriage, automobile, omnibus, cab, truck or other vehicle while waiting at, in or upon any station, wharf or other premises of the company, shall station or park such vehicle in such place as may be from time to time designated by the station authorities, and shall obey the directions of such authorities in regard thereto.
20. (1) Every person violating any of these Rules and Regulations shall be liable for every such offence to a penalty, enforceable on summary conviction, not exceeding $40.
(2) The company may summarily interfere, using reasonable force, if necessary, to prevent violation of these Rules and Regulations, or to enforce the observance thereof, and such interference shall not affect any penalty for which such persons may be liable.
- Date modified: