11. (1) For the purposes of determining whether the seed meets the standards set out in sections 6 and 7, the seed shall be subject to the following tests
(a) in the case of seed to be graded with a Canada pedigreed grade name, other than seed corn, an officially recognized test;
(b) in the case of corn to be graded with a Canada pedigreed grade name, non-pedigreed seed of the kinds or species set out in Tables VII to XII to Schedule I, and for the purposes of subsection 40(2), a recognized standard method by
(i) an officially recognized laboratory,
(ii) in the case of determinations of impurities in the kinds or species set out in Tables I to VI of Schedule I or seeds of a similar size, an accredited grader,
(iii) a seed testing laboratory operating under the supervision of a Senior or Associate member of the Commercial Seed Analysts’ Association of Canada,
(iv) a seed testing laboratory operating under the supervision of a Registered Seed Technologist registered by the Society of Commercial Seed Technologists,
(v) a seed testing laboratory operated by or under the authority of a national or state government of a foreign country, or
(vi) a seed testing laboratory accredited by the International Seed Testing Association (ISTA); or
(c) in the case of all other seed, a recognized standard method.
(2) Barley seed that has been labelled to indicate that it has been neither tested nor treated for true loose smut is exempt from being tested for true loose smut.
- SOR/96-252, s. 2;
- SOR/2003-6, s. 104;
- SOR/2007-223, s. 6.
Sampling of Seed
12. (1) Samples of seed for the testing referred to in section 11 shall be taken in conformity with recognized standard methods.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), a sample of seed submitted for testing shall be:
(a) where one gram of the seed lot contains 5,000 or more seeds, not less than 10 g;
(b) where one gram of the seed lot contains more than 25 seeds but less than 5,000 seeds, not less than 50,000 seeds; and
(c) where one gram of the seed lot contains 25 or less seeds, not less than 2 kg.
(3) A working sample for determination of impurities shall be
(a) for the purpose of grading those kinds and species set out in Schedule I, the quantity indicated in Tables 1 and 2 of the Canadian Methods and Procedures for Testing Seed; and
(b) for all other purposes, one half of the quantity set out in subsection (2).
(4) Subsections (2) and (3) do not apply if the sample is required for the purpose of checking only the percentage of germination.
- SOR/96-252, s. 2;
- SOR/2003-6, s. 105;
- SOR/2007-223, s. 7(E).
Grading of Seed
13. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3), seed may be graded with a Canada pedigreed grade name only where
(a) the seed is of pedigreed status;
(b) the seed has been conditioned by the grower of the seed on the grower’s premises or by an approved conditioner registered pursuant to Part IV;
(c) the grower of the seed has completed and signed a declaration attesting that the seed is derived from a crop that has been issued a crop certificate and that the seed has not been contaminated by any other seed;
(d) the seed is graded by an accredited grader, based on
(i) the results of an officially recognized test, or
(ii) in the case of seed corn, a test done in accordance with paragraph 11(1)(b), and
(e) in the case of a varietal blend, the blend is a PPTM varietal blend of kinds or species set out in any of Tables I to II.1 and IV to VII of Schedule I.
(2) Where seeds are not conditioned on the grower’s premises and it can be determined that the services of an approved conditioner are not available, a grower may, under the supervision of an inspector, have seed conditioned by other than an approved conditioner.
(3) Imported seed may be graded with a Canada pedigreed grade name only where
(a) the seed meets the condition set out in paragraph 1(d); and
(b) the seed is imported in a package bearing a label that was issued or approved by an official certifying agency and that indicates that the seed is of pedigreed status.
- SOR/78-314, s. 1;
- SOR/86-850, s. 6;
- SOR/88-242, s. 3;
- SOR/93-162, s. 4;
- SOR/96-252, s. 2;
- SOR/2007-223, s. 8;
- SOR/2012-13, s. 2.
- Date modified: