Water Pipes, Hydrants and Fire Hoses
48. (1) Every Class B ship shall be provided with water pipes and hydrants; the water pipes to be of ample diameter and the number and position of the hydrants to be such that at least one powerful jet of water may be directed into any part of the ship by means of a fire hose not over 18 m in length and at least one fire hose shall be provided for each hydrant.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), every Class B ship tied up to or alongside a dock shall be provided with
(a) auxiliary means of connecting the water pipes of the ship to fire equipment on the shore,
(b) suitable adapters for connecting to shore hydrants, and
(c) sufficient certified and uncertified personnel to man the fire stations,
and where the ship has passengers on board, constant pressure shall be maintained on the ship’s fire main either by the ship’s pumping system or by shore supply.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a ship unless it is a passenger steamship making a home-trade voyage, an inland voyage, or a minor waters voyage,
(a) that is certified to carry more than 25 berthed passengers or more than 50 berthed and unberthed passengers; or
(b) that does not carry berthed passengers but is certified to carry more than 100 unberthed passengers and where the length of the voyage from the point of commencement to the farthest outward point exceeds 15 nautical miles, or the distance from shore at any point exceeds five nautical miles.
- SOR/81-738, s. 33.
Fire Buckets and Fire Axes
49. (1) Every Class B ship shall be provided in accordance with its length with fire buckets and fire axes as follows:
Length of ship Number of fire buckets Number of fire axes 22.9 m and over 4 2 Under 22.9 m 3 1
(2) Fire buckets shall be fitted with lanyards of sufficient length to enable the buckets to be filled from the sea.
- SOR/81-738, s. 34.
CLASS C SHIPS
50. Every Class C ship over 22.9 m in length shall be provided with at least one manual or power fire pump, and appliances whereby a powerful jet of water can be directed into any part of the ship.
- SOR/81-738, s. 35.
50.1 Notwithstanding section 50, in the case of a Class C ship that is over 15.2 m in length and propelled by internal combustion machinery, the fire pump required by that section shall be operated by power.
- SOR/78-3, s. 4;
- SOR/81-738, s. 35;
- SOR/83-175, s. 1(F).
- Date modified: