Machinery Spaces — Ships Fitted with Main or Auxiliary Oil-fired Boilers
67. (1) Every Class G ship fitted with main or auxiliary oil-fired boilers shall be provided in the machinery spaces:
(a) with at least two fire hydrants, one on the port side and one on the starboard side, and for each such hydrant a fire hose with an approved fog nozzle or applicator suitable for spraying water on oil;
(b) in each firing space, with a receptacle containing at least 300 L of sand or other dry material suitable for quenching oil fires and a scoop for distributing the material;
(c) in each firing space and in each compartment that contains the whole or part of the fuel oil installation, with at least 9 L foam fire extinguishers, or two equivalent fire extinguishers as set forth in Schedule IV;
(d) with one foam fire extinguisher of
(i) at least 45 L capacity, or one equivalent fire extinguisher as set forth in Schedule IV, in each boiler room if the number of burners therein is five or more, or
(ii) 9 L capacity, or one equivalent fire extinguisher as set forth in Schedule IV, for each burner if the number of burners in a boiler room is less than five; and
(e) with a foam installation
(i) whereby foam can be rapidly discharged and distributed over each boiler room and over any space that contains the whole or part of the fuel oil installation,
(ii) in which the foam installation for discharge is sufficient in quantity to cover to a depth of 150 mm the largest single area over which fuel oil may be spread in the event of leakage,
(iii) that is capable of being controlled from a readily accessible position not likely to be cut off in the event of fire, and
(iv) that, in the case of a fixed installation, meets the requirements of Schedule III.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) but subject to subsection (3), a foam installation described in paragraph (e) thereof is not required on a ship where the boiler room and the space containing the fuel oil installation are adequately protected by a permanent piping system for the discharge of smothering gas, steam or water at high pressure.
(3) Where a ship referred to in subsection (2) is fitted only with water-tube boilers and the piping system referred to therein discharges steam, a foam extinguisher of at least 135 L capacity or an equivalent fire extinguisher as set forth in Schedule IV shall be provided.
(4) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(e), where the engine room and boiler room of a ship are not separated from each other by a bulkhead and fuel oil may drain from the boiler room into the engine room bilges, such rooms shall be regarded as a single area.
- SOR/81-738, s. 50.
Engine Rooms in Motor Ships
68. (1) Every Class G ship propelled by internal combustion machinery shall be provided in the compartment containing the machinery
(a) with two fire hydrants, one on the port side and one on the starboard side, and for each hydrant a fire hose with an approved fog nozzle or applicator suitable for spraying water on oil;
(b) with portable foam fire extinguishers in accordance with the following table, or with equivalent fire extinguishers as set forth in Schedule IV:
Total power of main engines Extinguishers required Not over 746 kW two 9 L Over 746 kW but not over 1,492 kW three 9 L Over 1,492 kW but not over 2,238 kW four 9 L Over 2,238 kW but not over 2,984 kW five 9 L Over 2,984 kW six 9 L
(c) with two foam extinguishers each of at least 45 L capacity, or two equivalent extinguishers as set forth in Schedule IV, but only one such extinguisher need be fitted in a ship that is required under paragraph 67(1)(d) or (e) to carry a foam extinguisher of 45 L capacity.
(2) Every Class G ship propelled by internal combustion machinery and having an auxiliary oil-fired boiler shall, in addition to the requirements of subsection (1), comply with the requirements of section 67, but if the net area beneath the boilers enclosed by coamings is 9.3 m2 or less the fire extinguishers required by paragraph 67(1)(c) or (d) need not be additional to similar extinguishers already provided in the space.
- SOR/81-738, s. 51.
- Date modified: