Regulations are current to 2013-11-26 and last amended on 2007-07-01. Previous Versions
146. (1) On a passenger ship, every life raft that is boarded from a location on deck that is more than 4 m above the waterline of the ship in its lightest seagoing condition shall be davit-launched.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of an existing ship that is a Class II, Class III or Class IV ship referred to in
(a) subparagraph 10(d)(ii);
(b) subparagraph 11(c)(ii);
(c) subparagraph 12(b)(ii);
(d) subparagraph 14(d)(ii); or
(e) paragraph 16(1)(d).
SOR/96-218, s. 34.
147. (1) Subject to subsection (2), if a life raft on a ship that is not a passenger ship is stowed more than 4 m above the waterline of the ship in its lightest seagoing condition, it shall be davit-launched unless it
(a) has a mass of not more than 185 kg; or
(b) is stowed for launching directly from the stowed position, from which it may be safely launched against a trim of 10° and a list of 20°.
(2) If the ship carries life rafts for more than 200 per cent of the complement, those life rafts in excess of 200 per cent need not be davit-launched.
SOR/96-218, s. 34;
SOR/2001-179, s. 47.
Rescue Boats and Emergency Boats
148. (1) Rescue boats and emergency boats shall be stowed
(a) in a state of continuous readiness and capable of being launched in less than five minutes; and
(b) in a location suitable for launching and recovery.
(2) A rescue boat that is also a lifeboat shall meet the requirements of section 144.
(3) Every rescue boat, when loaded with its full complement and equipment, shall be capable of being hoisted at a rate of not less than 0.3 m/s.
SOR/96-218, s. 34.
149. (1) Where the survival craft of a ship are stowed in such a location that they may be damaged by the ship’s stabilizer wings, the ship shall be equipped with a means of bringing the stabilizer wings inboard that may be operated
(a) from the navigating bridge; and
(b) by the ship’s emergency source of power.
(2) Indicators that are capable of being operated by the ship’s emergency source of power shall be provided on the navigating bridge to show the position of the stabilizer wings.