1. A line-throwing appliance shall be capable of throwing a line a distance of at least 230 m in calm weather in such a manner that the lateral deflection does not exceed 10 per cent of the length of flight.
2. A line-throwing appliance shall be marked with
(a) brief instructions in English and French; or
(b) diagrams illustrating its use.
3. A line-throwing appliance shall consist of
(a) a firing device with at least four projectiles and four lines; or
(b) four units that have integral projectiles and lines.
4. Each line of every line-throwing appliance shall have a breaking strength of not less than 2 kN.
5. The rocket, in the case of a pistol-fired rocket, or the assembly, in the case of an integral rocket and line-throwing appliance, shall be contained in a weathertight casing.
6. A line-throwing appliance shall be stowed in a container that is weathertight.
7. Every projectile, cartridge or other means of ignition of a line-throwing appliance shall be withdrawn from service at the latest four years after its date of manufacture.
8. (1) Every projectile, cartridge or other means of ignition of a line-throwing appliance shall be marked with
(a) the manufacturer’s name, logo or trade-mark;
(b) the lot number;
(c) the month and year of manufacture; and
(d) the Board approval number.
(2) A line-throwing appliance that is an integral unit shall be marked with the month and year of manufacture of the projectile and means of ignition.
- SOR/79-546, s. 2;
- SOR/96-218, s. 49;
- SOR/2001-179, s. 68.
- Date modified: