Territorial Lands Regulations
1. [Repealed, SOR/2003-116, s. 13]
2. In these Regulations,
“Act” means the Territorial Lands Act; (Loi)
- “land agent”
“land agent” means an employee of the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development designated by the Minister as a land agent for an area of the Northwest Territories; (agent des terres)
“Minister” means the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development; (ministre)
“Superintendent” means the Superintendent of Resources for the Northwest Territories. (Surintendant)
- SOR/2003-116, s. 14.
3. These Regulations apply only to territorial lands under the control, management and administration of the Minister.
APPLICATION TO PURCHASE OR LEASE TERRITORIAL LANDS
4. Every application to lease or purchase territorial lands shall be made to the land agent for the area in which the land is situated and shall be accompanied by the application fee set out in the schedule.
- SOR/96-111, s. 1.
5. Where application is made to a land agent to lease or purchase territorial lands that are not surveyed, the land agent shall accompany the applicant to the site of the lands he wishes to purchase or lease, prepare a sketch of the lands, and, if he deems it necessary, mark off on the ground the boundary limits of the land.
6. Every person who wishes to purchase territorial lands shall enter into an agreement for sale with the Minister containing such terms and conditions as the Minister may deem necessary.
SALE OF TERRITORIAL LANDS
7. (1) Every agreement for sale and every grant of territorial lands other than surveyed territorial lands in a townsite shall be deemed to contain the following reservations and conditions in addition to those prescribed by the Act:
(a) a reservation of such part or parts of the land as may from time to time be appropriated by Her Majesty in right of Canada for the purpose of a public road; and
(b) where the land sold has an area in excess of 10 acres, the condition that if the owner subdivides the lands or any portion thereof into townsite lots, one-third of the lots in the land so subdivided shall revert to the Crown.
(2) Lots to which the Crown is entitled under paragraph (1)(b) shall be selected as follows:
(a) the owner shall first select two lots, and
(b) the land agent shall then select one lot for the Crown,
and this process shall be repeated until all lots are selected.
- Date modified: