15. An authorized officer or Regional Advisory Committee may require an applicant for assistance and his spouse to appear in person before him or it, whether or not the veteran and his spouse have already appeared before a different authorized officer or Regional Advisory Committee for examination.
16. Every applicant for assistance under the Act shall complete a declaration in writing that
(a) he or his agent has personally inspected and thoroughly examined the land with respect to which the application is made;
(b) he is satisfied that such land is suitable for the purpose for which it is intended to be used; and
(c) he understands and agrees that approval to purchase does not constitute a warranty or guarantee of any kind whatsoever by the Director as to the condition of the property or the suitability of the property for the purpose for which it is intended to be used.
17. An application made under Part I or III of the Act that involves acquisition of land by the Director may, after inspection and appraisal by an officer of the Director of the land to which the application for assistance relates, be referred to the Regional Advisory Committee for consideration.
18. (1) After determining whether the assistance applied for is intended for the purposes authorized by the Act, and taking into account the inspection and appraisal report and the suitability of the land for the settlement of the veteran, an authorized officer or Regional Advisory Committee shall make a recommendation to the regional director as to whether, in the opinion of the authorized officer or the Committee, the application should be approved or rejected, together with such other recommendations as the authorized officer or the Committee may see fit to make.
(2) A recommendation referred to in subsection (1) shall be sent to the regional director together with the application form, the report of inspection and appraisal and all other relevant documents.
APPROVAL OF APPLICATION
19. (1) The approval of purchase or sale of property and the approval of construction authorized by the Act shall
(a) be given in writing, in the form prescribed by the Director, over the signature of the regional director; and
(b) specify the amounts approved, the purposes for which the amounts are approved and the terms of repayment.
(2) In no event shall the total loan and advances approved on the veteran’s behalf exceed the veteran’s capacity to repay as estimated by the Director.
ESTABLISHMENT OF LAND VALUE
20. (1) In establishing the value of land for the purposes of section 17 of the Act, the Director may take into account the value that permanent improvements to be effected under that section may add to the value of the land.
(2) In establishing the market value of land, the Director may take into account the value that permanent improvements effected by the Director may add to the value of the land.
21. The standard dates for payments are
(a) November 1st in each year in the case of annual instalments;
(b) May 1st and November 1st in each year in the case of semi-annual instalments; and
(c) the 1st or the 15th of each month as may be determined by the Director, in the case of monthly instalments.
- Date modified: