Exemptions from the Act
3. A class, type or design of device is exempt from the Act where the class, type or design is
(a) subject to verification pursuant to the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act; or
(b) designed for use and used only in laboratories or in scientific study and not approved pursuant to section 3 of the Act.
- SOR/80-429, s. 1;
- SOR/93-234, s. 2.
Exemptions from Section 8 of the Act
4. (1) The following classes or types of devices are exempt from section 8 of the Act:
(a) water meters;
(b) parking meters;
(c) taxi meters;
(d) odometers of motor vehicles;
(e) coin-operated machines for weighing persons;
(f) coin-operated machines that dispense a predetermined quantity of liquid into a container and that do not register by a mechanical or an electrical indicator the quantity of liquid dispensed;
(g) clocks, watches, chronometers and other time measuring devices;
(h) milk measuring tanks for farm use;
(i) measuring tanks mounted on railway cars;
(j) tanks that have a capacity in excess of 55 000 L or 12,000 gallons;
(k) meters for the measurement of grease and other commodities having flow properties similar to grease;
(l) static measures that are used as containers in which a commodity is sold or offered for sale;
(m) packing devices; and
(n) weighing machines designed for use in laboratories, scientific study or weighing precious metals and that are used for weighing precious metals or other commodities of comparable value, if they conform to applicable specifications for performance, installation and use established by these Regulations and if, prior to December 31, 1981, they are inspected and certified as meeting such specifications.
(2) A device used exclusively to weigh or measure standard quantity commodities is exempt from section 8 of the Act.
- SOR/80-429, s. 2;
- SOR/90-118, s. 3;
- SOR/93-234, s. 2(F);
- SOR/2005-297, ss. 2, 41(F).
Exemptions from Paragraphs 8(b) and 26(1)(c) of the Act
5. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a meter register approved pursuant to section 3 of the Act that has no means, or has means that are not in use, of automatic temperature, pressure or density compensation is exempt from paragraphs 8(b) and 26(1)(c) of the Act if it is installed as a replacement register on a volumetric liquid meter that has previously been inspected and certified pursuant to paragraph 8(b) of the Act.
(2) Where a register described in subsection (1) is altered to operate with automatic temperature, pressure or density compensation, the register shall be inspected and certified pursuant to paragraphs 8(b) and 26(1)(c) of the Act.
- SOR/90-118, s. 4.
- Date modified: