Operation and Maintenance of Registered Establishments
61. (1) Every operator shall operate and maintain the establishment in accordance with this section.
(2) The operation of a registered establishment and the preparation of produce in a registered establishment shall be carried out under the supervision of a competent, responsible employee designated by the operator of the establishment on the application for registration.
(3) The building, equipment and all other physical facilities of a registered establishment shall be maintained in a sanitary condition.
(4) Operations in relation to the preparation of produce in a registered establishment shall be carried out in a sanitary manner.
(5) A registered establishment shall have notices posted in prominent places instructing employees engaged in the preparation of produce to clean their hands immediately after using toilet facilities and that smoking is prohibited.
(6) Refuse that is likely to attract insects, birds, rodents or other vermin to a registered establishment must be removed daily.
(7) Any detergent, sanitizer or other chemical agent in a registered establishment shall be properly labelled and shall be stored and used in a manner that prevents contamination of produce or a surface with which produce comes into contact.
(8) No produce in a registered establishment shall be exposed to a source of contamination.
(9) Nothing that is likely to emit an odour that could affect the flavour of produce shall be kept in a registered establishment.
(10) Bulk and packaged produce in a registered establishment shall be stored or held in clean areas, under conditions of temperature, light and ventilation that are suitable for the preservation of the produce.
(11) No person who suffers from or is a known carrier of a communicable disease or who has an infected lesion that is open or exposed shall work in any area of a registered establishment where there is a danger of contamination with pathogenic micro-organisms of the produce or the surface with which the produce comes into contact.
(12) All persons engaged in the preparation of produce in a registered establishment shall clean their hands thoroughly immediately after using toilet facilities and as frequently as is necessary to prevent the contamination of produce.
(13) All produce shipped interprovincially from a registered establishment shall be prepared in that establishment in accordance with these Regulations.
(14) The owner or operator of a registered establishment shall
(a) maintain accurate records of produce shipments from the establishment by kind and grade of produce and size of container, date of shipment and number of containers shipped; and
(b) retain those records for the two years following the date of each shipment.
(15) The operator of a registered establishment shall, when if requested to do so by an inspector, comply with the requirements of paragraphs 41(1)(c) to (e).
(16) The owner or operator of a registered establishment shall notify the Director of any changes in the operations or personnel of the establishment that might affect the registration of the establishment, within 30 days after those changes are made.
(17) The owner or operator shall maintain in the registered establishment a file containing samples of all labels marked with the establishment registration number as shown in Schedule IV and shall, on the request of an inspector, submit the file to the inspector for inspection.
- SOR/90-218, s. 3;
- SOR/94-510, s. 22;
- SOR/95-475, s. 2;
- SOR/2003-6, s. 10.
- Date modified: