31.1 Except as otherwise provided in these Regulations, every label applied in respect of a food product shall meet the applicable requirements of sections 32 to 42.
- SOR/98-579, s. 3.
32 All information required by these Regulations to be shown on the label of a prepackaged product, or on the label of a container referred to in subsection 25(1), shall be shown in both official languages except that the identity and principal place of business of the person by or for whom the product was manufactured, processed, produced or packaged for sale may be shown in one of the official languages.
- SOR/93-496, s. 4.
33 If a food product prepared in a registered establishment is packed for a first dealer under that dealer’s private label, the registration number of the establishment or the dealer’s identifying code mark shall appear on the label or be embossed on the container.
- SOR/86-622, s. 3;
- SOR/2011-205, s. 32.
34 No food product shall be labelled with the name of a product set out in an item of Schedule XII as the name or as part of the name of the food product, unless the food product meets the applicable standards for that product set out in Schedule I or II.
- SOR/93-330, s. 4.
35 (1) A product mentioned in Column I of an item of Table III of Schedule IV packed in syrup or fruit juice or fruit juice to which sugar has been added shall, when the percentage of soluble solids set out in Column II, III, IV, V or VI of that item is utilized, be labelled with the corresponding identification name of syrup referred to in that Schedule.
(2) Frozen fruits packed in sugar, invert sugar, dextrose or glucose in dry form shall be labelled to show the total percentage of sweetener or sweeteners added (e.g. “% sugar, invert sugar, dextrose or glucose added”).
- SOR/78-170, s. 6.
36 (1) Subject to subsection (2), each declaration required by this Part in respect of a product shall be clearly and prominently displayed on a label affixed to the container of the product in letters and numerals at least as large as the minimum size of letters and numerals prescribed for that area of principal display surface in section 1 of Schedule V.
(2) Where a declaration required by this Part is as to volume, net weight or count, only the numerals are required to be of the minimum size specified in section 1 of Schedule V.
37 The grade names established by these Regulations shall be shown on the label as illustrated in
(a) section 2 of Schedule V in the case of a canned or frozen fruit or vegetable prepared in a registered establishment; and
(b) section 3 of Schedule V in the case of a canned or frozen fruit or vegetable imported and sold in its original container.
- SOR/91-687, s. 7;
- SOR/93-330, s. 5;
- SOR/95-548, s. 2(F).
(2) Where the food product fails to meet the lowest grade prescribed for that product in Schedule I, it shall be marked “substandard” providing the product is sound, wholesome and fit for food.
- SOR/93-330, s. 6.
(2) The net weight declaration for frozen fruits and vegetables other than frozen liquid foods shall be declared on the label as prescribed by sections 1, 4 and 5 of Schedule V.
- SOR/93-330, s. 7.
40 (1) The declaration for size grading of green and wax beans, peas, lima beans, asparagus tips or spears, whole white potatoes, whole carrots and cut carrots-whole style shall be indicated on the label as follows:
(a) the number designation, its equivalent optional word designation or the word designation specified in Tables I to V and Table VII respectively, of Schedule VI for the vegetables listed in this section; or
(b) “assorted sizes” or “mixed sizes” where the product is a combination or blend of any two or more sizes; or
(c) “ungraded as to size” where the product has not been size graded.
(2) The words whole carrots and cut carrots-whole style have the same meaning as in subsection 16(1) of Table II to Schedule I.
- SOR/86-780, s. 1.
41 (1) Where food products are imported, the label shall state clearly and conspicuously the country where the product was packed, in type as prescribed in section 1 of Schedule V, either as part of the name and address of the foreign operator or as a separate declaration indicating the origin of the product.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), where an imported food product has been packed for a Canadian importer under his private label, country of origin shall be declared on the label clearly and conspicuously in lettering not less than ¼ inch in height on containers over 10 ounces and not less than 1/8 inch in height on containers of 10 ounces and under.
- SOR/86-622, s. 3.
(2) All declarations required by these Regulations, other than those referred to in subsection (1) or those required to appear adjacent to the common name, may appear on any panel of the label other than a panel located on the bottom of the container.
43 [Repealed, SOR/98-579, s. 4]
44 [Repealed, SOR/2013-76, s. 4]
(2) Where shipments of unlabelled food products are made pursuant to subsection (1), an inspector shall attach to one package of the shipment a numbered detention tag duly completed and signed by the inspector.
(3) No person shall alter or remove the detention tag placed on the package of the shipment and no person shall remove, sell or otherwise dispose of any part of the shipment so detained until a release in writing has been obtained from an inspector.
46 All packages in which containers of food products are packed shall be marked on one panel of the package with
(a) the name of the product;
(b) the name and address of the operator or, if the containers are packed for a first dealer, the name and address of the first dealer;
(c) the grade of the product as indicated on the labels of the containers;
(d) the number and size of containers in the package; and
(e) the registration number for the establishment in which the product was packed.
- SOR/86-622, s. 3;
- SOR/2011-205, s. 34(F).
(2) No establishment shall use any container or package bearing the registration number or other identification mark assigned or belonging to any other establishment.
- SOR/2011-205, s. 34(F).
PART VAnalysis, Inspection and Grading Services
48 A person who wishes to have food products analyzed, inspected or graded shall
(a) make a request to an inspector at least 24 hours before the service is required or, if there is no inspector in the area, at the nearest inspection office at least 48 hours before the service is required;
(b) present the food products at a place and time designated by an inspector;
(c) make all food products from which samples will be drawn by the inspector readily accessible and ensure that they are in a condition suitable for analysis, inspection or grading;
(d) be available to assist the inspector, or designate an employee on the premises who will be available to assist the inspector, to open and close the containers and provide such other assistance as the inspector may request in order to provide the service; and
(e) indicate the grade names, if any, proposed to be placed on the containers, where the food products are unlabelled at the time they are presented.
- SOR/86-622, s. 3;
- SOR/97-300, s. 5.
- Date modified: