142. No person shall transport or cause to be transported animals in a railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft or vessel unless
(a) each animal is able to stand in its natural position without coming into contact with a deck or roof; and
(b) provision is made for the drainage or absorption of urine from all decks or levels.
- SOR/95-475, s. 4;
- SOR/97-85, s. 79.
Protection of Animals from Injury or Sickness
143. (1) No person shall transport or cause to be transported any animal in a railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft, vessel, crate or container if injury or undue suffering is likely to be caused to the animal by reason of
(a) inadequate construction of the railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft, vessel, container or any part thereof;
(b) insecure fittings, the presence of bolt-heads, angles or other projections;
(c) the fittings or other parts of the railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft, vessel or container being inadequately padded, fenced off or otherwise obstructed;
(d) undue exposure to the weather; or
(e) inadequate ventilation.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), every railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft or vessel used to transport livestock shall be
(a) strewn with sand or fitted with safe and secure footholds for the livestock; and
(b) littered with straw, wood shavings or other bedding material.
(3) Where livestock is expected to be confined in a railway car, motor vehicle or aircraft for not more than 12 hours, the railway car, motor vehicle or aircraft need only meet the requirements of paragraph (2)(a) or (b).
(4) Every sea carrier who takes an equine on board a vessel for exportation out of Canada where the voyage is to be made during the period from November 1st to the following March 31st shall provide and maintain such facilities and equipment on board the vessel as will ensure that the equine does not become ill from sea-sickness due to rough seas during the voyage.
- SOR/97-85, s. 80.
144. (1) No person shall load or transport or cause to be loaded or transported a container used in the transportation of animals unless the container is constructed and maintained so that
(a) animals therein may, where required, be fed and watered without being removed therefrom;
(b) animals therein may be readily inspected; and
(c) the escape of any liquid or solid waste therefrom is prevented.
(2) Subject to subsection (4), no person shall load or transport or cause to be loaded or transported a container used in the transportation of animals unless the container is equipped with a sign or symbol indicating
(a) the presence of live animals therein; and
(b) the upright position of the container.
(3) Every container used in the transportation of animals shall be so secured to the railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft or vessel in which it is carried as to prevent it from being displaced during transportation.
(4) Subsection (2) does not apply to a container if all animals therein are readily visible from outside.
- SOR/97-85, s. 81.
- Date modified: