APPLICATION FOR GRANT
4. Every person or group of persons requesting a grant shall submit to the Minister an application, under oath by all persons who are party to the application, giving full particulars of the proposed program of exploratory work, including
(a) a description of the areas on which it is proposed to do exploratory work and of the holdings to which they relate,
(b) estimates, by classes of expenditure satisfactory to the Minister, of the proposed program expenditure for the exploratory work, a statement of the basis on which such estimates were made and of the purpose of each class of expenditure,
(c) if the exploratory work is to be carried out in stages not all of which will likely be completed in the same year, giving
(i) the estimated period of each stage, and
(ii) full particulars of the exploratory work proposed to be carried out in each stage, including the information required by paragraphs (a) and (b) and a description of the areas to which each class of expenditure is proposed to be applied, and
(d) three copies of all available preliminary reports, photographs, maps and other factual material upon which the program of exploratory work is based,
and shall submit such other information, documents and undertakings as are required by these Regulations or by the Minister.
AUTHORIZATION OF GRANT BY MINISTER
5. (1) When the Minister has received a completed application and is satisfied that the program of exploratory work that the application discloses may further the economic development of northern Canada, he may
(a) approve the application;
(b) determine the amount of the program expenditure;
(c) fix the day by which the program of exploratory work is to be completed; and
(d) authorize, subject to the terms and conditions set out in these Regulations, a grant to the recipient in an amount not exceeding 40 per cent of the lesser of
(i) the program expenditure determined by him pursuant to paragraph (b), and
(ii) the portion of that program expenditure borne by the recipient.
(2) At any time before the whole of a grant has been paid to a recipient, the Minister may, at the request of the recipient and on such information as the recipient may provide or the Minister may require, vary any amount determined or authorized or any date fixed pursuant to this section.
(3) All applications shall be dealt with by the Minister in the order in which they are completed.
(4) For the purposes of this section, an application is completed when
(a) an application fulfilling the requirements of section 4 has been received by the Minister; and
(b) all information, documents and undertakings required by these Regulations or by the Minister have been submitted to the Minister by the applicant.
PAYMENT OF GRANT
6. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no amount shall be paid to a recipient as or on account of a grant unless the recipient has satisfied the Director that the recipient has
(a) in relation to oil or gas, drilled an exploratory test well, or
(b) in relation to minerals, drilled diamond drill holes or equivalent holes in a number satisfactory to the Director,
and a statement of program expenditure has been submitted by the recipient to and has been approved by the Director in accordance with sections 7 and 8.
(2) Where, on the basis of the results of a recipient’s exploratory work, the Minister is satisfied that drilling is not warranted, he may waive the requirement to drill imposed on the recipient by subsection (1).
- Date modified: