(ss. 52 and 53)
VEHICLE STANDARDS FOR TRANSPORTING EXPLOSIVES BY A VEHICLE WITH A LOAD OF UP TO CARRYING CAPACITY
1. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
- (1)The part of the electric wiring and lighting systems extending behind the cab of a truck and a truck tractor or throughout a semi-trailer shall be completely enclosed in sealed conduit, connectors and fixtures.
- (2)The electric wiring system shall be adequately supported and attached and shall not be located so as to become charred or overheated or to contact any moving parts.
- (3)The edges of any metal holes through which the electric wiring passes shall be rolled or bushed to minimize abrasion.
- (4)Where practical, no part of the electric wiring system shall be adjacent to or come into contact with any part of the fuel system.
2. BRAKE SYSTEM
- (1)The vehicle shall be equipped with a service brake system and a parking brake system and each such system shall be adequate to stop and to hold the vehicle when loaded to its carrying capacity, according to the procedures prescribed by the province or territory in which the vehicle is licensed.
- (2)If fitted with a hydraulic brake system, rupture or failure through leakage of any single pressure component of the service brake system shall not result in the complete loss of effectiveness of the brakes of the vehicle when force on the brake pedal is continued.
3. FUEL SYSTEM
- (1)Fuel tanks for gasoline and diesel-driven vehicles shall conform to Underwriters Laboratories of Canada Standard ULC Subject C395-1975 and the fuel system for propane-driven vehicles shall conform to National Standards of Canada Amendment No. 1 to CAN1-B149.2-M80 of October, 1982.
- (2)No part of the fuel system shall extend beyond the overall width of the vehicle or be forward of the front axle.
- (3)All fill pipe openings shall be located outside the driver and cargo compartments of the vehicle.
- (4)Fuel lines shall be secured against chaffing, kinking or other causes of mechanical damage.
4. EXHAUST SYSTEM
- (1)No part of the exhaust system shall be located so as to cause burning, charring or damage to the electrical wiring, the fuel system or any combustible part of the vehicle.
- (2)The exhaust system shall not be located so as to cause any heating within the cargo compartment.
- SOR/80-488, s. 5;
- SOR/82-824, s. 3;
- SOR/83-851, s. 6.
- Date modified: