Clams, Mussels and Oysters
37. (1) Canned clams, mussels and oysters shall not contain excessive green algae and shall be free from sand, gravel, pearls, discoloration and shell pieces.
(2) Canned soft-shelled clams shall have the dark-coloured portion of the siphon and all of the mantle cover removed.
(3) Canned butter clams shall have the black portion of the siphon removed.
38. (1) Lobster cocktail shall be prepared from fresh, well-washed fish in combination with sound lobster meat that is free from inedible parts.
(2) More than 50 per cent of the drained weight of the contents of a can of lobster cocktail shall be lobster meat.
39. (1) Tomalley shall be prepared from clean, sound roe, green liver and lobster meat free from inedible parts.
(2) No can of tomalley shall contain filler or any other ingredient.
40. (1) Lobster paste shall be prepared from those parts of lobsters used in the preparation of tomalley.
(2) Lobster paste shall be ground to a smooth consistency, shall be uniform in colour and may contain spices, artificial colouring and filler not exceeding a maximum of two per cent by weight of the finished paste.
41. [Repealed, SOR/96-364, s. 10]
42. (1) Salmon of a species named in Column I of an item of the table to this subsection shall be designated, after it has been canned, by the appropriate common name set out in Column II of that item.
Column I Column II 1. Oncorhynchus nerka Sockeye Salmon Red Sockeye Salmon Red Salmon 2. Oncorhynchus tschawytscha Spring Salmon King Salmon Chinook Salmon 3. Oncorhynchus kisutch Coho Salmon Medium Red Coho Salmon 4. Oncorhynchus gorbuscha Pink Salmon 5. Oncorhynchus keta Chum Salmon Keta Salmon 6. Salmo gairdnerii Steelhead Salmon Deep Sea Trout 7. Salmo salar Salmon Atlantic Salmon
(2) In addition to the appropriate common name in Column II of the table to subsection (1), canned salmon of the species Oncorhynchus tschawytscha may be designated as “red”, “pink” or “white” to indicate the colour of the flesh in accordance with standards approved by the Minister.
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1),
(a) immature coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) may be designated as “Blueback Salmon” if it meets the colour standard approved by the Minister; and
(b) cans of minced salmon containing mixed species shall be designated as “Minced Salmon”.
- Date modified: