14. No person shall park a vehicle in any area designated by a sign as an area in which parking is prohibited.
15. Where an area is by sign designated as an area where parking is reserved for persons holding permits or is designated as an area where parking is prohibited except under a permit, no person shall park a vehicle in the area unless there is attached to and exposed on that vehicle a label furnished with the permit and displayed in accordance with the terms of the permit authorizing that vehicle to be parked in that area.
16. Where an area is by sign designated as an area where parking is permitted for a period of time, no person shall park a vehicle in the area for any greater period of time than that indicated on the sign.
17. (1) Where an area is by sign designated as an area where parking is reserved for a class of persons, other than disabled persons, no person shall park a vehicle in the area unless the person is a member of that class.
(2) Where an area is by sign designated as an area where parking is reserved for disabled persons, no person shall park a vehicle in the area unless there is displayed on the vehicle a valid parking permit for disabled persons issued by a provincial or municipal authority.
- SOR/96-398, s. 1.
18. (1) A Minister, or a person authorized by a Minister, may issue permits and furnish labels, for the purposes of section 15, in respect of lands under the Minister’s administration.
(2) The Minister or person who issues a permit under subsection (1) may revoke that permit.
(3) Unless sooner revoked, a permit issued under these Regulations is valid for the period stated thereon, and a label furnished with the permit is valid only during the period that the permit is valid.
- SOR/94-517, s. 1.
19. A constable who finds a vehicle parked in contravention of these Regulations may, in addition or as an alternative to any other action that may be taken under these Regulations, remove the vehicle and, if the constable deems it necessary to protect the vehicle or the interests of the owner, store the vehicle in a suitable place.
- SOR/94-517, s. 2;
- SOR/95-174, s. 2(F);
- SOR/2011-43, s. 1.
20. No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a rate of speed in excess of the speed limit indicated for the highway by a sign.
21. Every person who contravenes any provision of these Regulations, or operates a vehicle on a highway in contravention of a provision of any applicable provincial or municipal law referred to in section 5 or 6, is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $500 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months, or to both.
- SOR/90-860, s. 2;
- SOR/94-517, s. 3;
- SOR/97-277, s. 5.
22. (1) Notwithstanding section 21, any person who is alleged to have contravened a provision of these Regulations governing the parking of a vehicle may, at any time within 15 days, excluding holidays, after the day on which the contravention is alleged to have occurred, register a plea of guilty to the alleged offence by paying into court, either personally or by mail, the amount of
(a) $25 in the case of a contravention of section 14, 15 or 16 or subsection 17(1); and
(b) $50 in the case of a contravention of subsection 17(2).
(2) Any amount paid pursuant to subsection (1) shall be paid into the court designated by the Minister for such payment.
(3) Where a payment referred to in subsection (1) is sent to the court by mail, the payment into court shall be deemed to have been made on the day on which the payment was mailed.
(4) For the purposes of these Regulations, where, pursuant to subsection (1), a payment into court is made by or on behalf of any person who is alleged to have violated these Regulations, such payment shall be deemed to be in full satisfaction of any penalty that may be imposed upon the summary conviction of that person for that alleged violation.
- SOR/80-619, s. 1;
- SOR/90-860, s. 3;
- SOR/96-398, s. 2.
- Date modified: