International River Improvements Regulations
C.R.C., c. 982
Regulations Respecting International River Improvements
2. In these Regulations,
“Act” means the International River Improvements Act; (Loi)
- “associated works”
“associated works”[Revoked, SOR/93-198, s. 1]
- “international river”
“international river” means water flowing from any place in Canada to any place outside Canada; (cours d’eau international)
- “international river improvement”
“international river improvement” means a dam, obstruction, canal, reservoir or other work the purpose or effect of which is
(a) to increase, decrease or alter the natural flow of an international river, and
(b) to interfere with, alter or affect the actual or potential use of the international river outside Canada; (ouvrage destiné à l’amélioration d’un cours d’eau international)
“Minister” means the Minister of the Environment. (ministre)
- SOR/87-570, s. 1;
- SOR/93-198, s. 1.
3. (1) An international river improvement is excepted from the operation of the Act if:
(a) the improvement has or will have in its operation an effect of less than 3 cm on the level or less than 0.3 m3/s on the flow of water at the Canadian boundary; or
(b) the improvement is of a temporary nature, to be operated for a period not exceeding two years.
(2) A person who intends to construct an international river improvement that is excepted from the application of the Act under subsection (1) shall notify and provide the Minister in writing with the information referred to in paragraphs 6(a) to (e).
- SOR/87-570, s. 2.
4. and 5. [Revoked, SOR/87-570, s. 2]
6. An application for a licence under the Act shall be addressed to the Minister and shall contain the following information:
(a) the name, address and occupation of the applicant;
(b) the name and a clear description of the international river on which an international river improvement is to be made;
(c) the place where the said improvement is to be made and a description of the improvement;
(d) details as to the effect of the improvement on the level or flow of water at the Canadian boundary;
(e) details as to the effect of the improvement on the use of water outside Canada;
(f) details of the adverse effects of the improvement on flood control and other uses of water together with information as to plans to minimize such effects;
(g) a brief economic analysis of the direct and indirect benefit and costs of and resulting from the improvement; and
(h) any further details concerning the improvement tending to indicate that it is compatible with a sound development of the resources and economy of Canada.
- SOR/87-570, s. 3(F).
- Date modified: