54. Where Foothills proposes a location of the pipeline or a portion thereof to the designated officer for approval, it shall, in a manner satisfactory to the designated officer, take into account the effect, if any, of the construction or operation of the pipeline on the existing or potential uses of any land or waterbody through which the pipeline is proposed to pass.
Drainage, Erosion Control, Rehabilitation and Revegetation
55. Foothills shall, in the planning and construction of the pipeline, take such measures as are satisfactory to the designated officer to
(a) minimize disturbance on erosion-sensitive terrain; and
(b) minimize construction on erosion-sensitive terrain during periods in which erosion is most likely to be initiated.
56. Foothills shall design and implement erosion control measures satisfactory to the designated officer to protect the pipeline, minimize interference with any other use of land or water and to protect the environment of any area through which the pipeline passes.
57. Foothills shall, in the construction and operation of the pipeline, minimize to the satisfaction of the designated officer the development of subsurface channels along the pipeline and
(a) any change in the natural drainage patterns, and
(b) any increase in the sediment loading in waterbodies
of those areas through which the pipeline passes.
58. Foothills shall implement such measures as are satisfactory to the designated officer to rehabilitate land, other than agricultural land, disturbed by the construction or operation of the pipeline.
59. Foothills shall take measures to revegetate land, other than agricultural land, to the satisfaction of the designated officer, disturbed by the construction or operation of the pipeline in a manner that complements any other measure Foothills takes to control drainage and erosion.
60. Where land is to be rehabilitated pursuant to section 58 or revegetated pursuant to section 59, Foothills shall rehabilitate or revegetate, as the case may be, the land in a manner consistent with present land use practices employed in that portion of the Province through which the pipeline passes and shall give priority to the following objectives:
(a) the control of erosion and its impact,
(b) the protection of important wildlife habitat, and
(c) the restoration of the aesthetic value of the land
and such priority shall be given in the order set out in paragraphs (a) to (c).
61. Where Foothills has backfilled any part of the pipeline under construction, Foothills shall, unless otherwise authorized by the designated officer, commence as soon as practicable but, in any event, within one year of the backfilling, the erosion control measures referred to in section 56, the rehabilitation measures referred to in section 58 and the revegetation measures referred to in section 59.
- Date modified: