19. (1) Every licensee who transfers a radiation device shall provide the transferee with the instructions referred to in the radiation device certificate for dealing with accidents, including fires and spills.
(2) A licensee who transfers a sealed source or a nuclear substance as shielding shall provide the transferee with a record of the most recent leak test conducted in accordance with section 18.
Radiation Survey Meters
20. No person shall use, for the purpose of the Act, the regulations made under the Act or an order or a licence, a radiation survey meter that has not been calibrated within the 12 months preceding its use.
21. Where a radiation device is involved in an accident or is subjected to conditions other than those in which it is designed to operate, the licensee shall discontinue using it until the licensee performs a test or an inspection which establishes that it is functioning properly.
Labelling for Field Operations
22. No person shall use a radiation device in field operations unless the device has securely attached to it a durable, readily visible and legible label that sets out the name or job title and the telephone number of a person who can initiate the accident procedure referred to in the licence that has been issued in respect of the device and who can be contacted 24 hours a day.
Posting of Signs
(a) post and keep posted, in a visible location at the place where the radioactive nuclear substance is used or stored, a durable and legible sign that indicates the name or job title and the telephone number of a person who can initiate any required emergency procedure and who can be contacted 24 hours a day; and
(b) post and keep posted, in a visible location at every personnel access opening to any equipment fitted with a radiation device, a durable and legible sign that bears
(i) the radiation warning symbol set out in Schedule 3 to the Radiation Protection Regulations and the words “RAYONNEMENT — DANGER — RADIATION”, and
(ii) the requirement to follow the personnel entry procedures required by the licence.
- SOR/2008-119, s. 30.
Requirement for Operators
24. No person other than a certified exposure device operator, or a trainee who is acting under the direct supervision and continuous observation of a certified exposure device operator, shall operate an exposure device.
Application for Certification of Operator
25. The Commission or a designated officer authorized under paragraph 37(2)(b) of the Act may certify a person as an exposure device operator after receiving an application that includes the following information:
(a) the person’s name and business address;
(b) the person’s training and experience; and
(c) evidence of the successful completion by the person of an examination recognized by the Commission.
- SOR/2008-119, s. 31.
- Date modified: