65 [Repealed, SOR/2008-315, s. 4]
Financial Statements in Proxy Circular
(2) The financial statements referred to in subsection (1), if not reported on by the auditor of the corporation, shall be accompanied by a report of the chief financial officer of the corporation stating that the financial statements have not been audited but have been prepared in the manner described in Part 8.
Proxy Circular Exemptions
67 For the purpose of subparagraph (b)(v) of the definition solicit or solicitation in section 147 of the Act, a solicitation does not include a public announcement that is made by
(a) a speech in a public forum; or
(b) a press release, an opinion, a statement or an advertisement provided through a broadcast medium or by a telephonic, electronic or other communication facility, or appearing in a newspaper, a magazine or other publication generally available to the public.
68 (1) For the purpose of subparagraph (b)(vii) of the definition solicit or solicitation in section 147 of the Act, the prescribed circumstances are circumstances in which the communication is made to shareholders
(a) by one or more shareholders and concerns the business and affairs of a corporation — including its management or proposals contained in a management proxy circular — and no form of proxy is sent to those shareholders by the shareholder or shareholders making the communication or by a person acting on their behalf;
(b) by one or more shareholders and concerns the organization of a dissident’s proxy solicitation, and no form of proxy is sent to those shareholders by the shareholder or shareholders making the communication or by a person acting on their behalf;
(c) as clients, by a person who gives financial, corporate governance or proxy voting advice in the ordinary course of business and concerns proxy voting advice if
(i) the person discloses to the shareholder any significant relationship with the corporation and any of its affiliates or with a shareholder who has submitted a proposal pursuant to subsection 137(1) of the Act and any material interests the person has in relation to a matter on which advice is given,
(ii) the person receives any special commission or remuneration for giving the proxy voting advice only from the shareholder or shareholders receiving the advice, and
(iii) the proxy voting advice is not given on behalf of any person soliciting proxies or on behalf of a nominee for election as a director; or
(d) by a person who does not seek directly or indirectly, the power to act as proxy for a shareholder.
(2) The circumstances described in paragraph (1)(a) are not prescribed circumstances if the communication is made by
(a) a shareholder who is an officer or director of the corporation, or who serves in a similar capacity, if the communication is financed directly or indirectly by the corporation;
(b) a shareholder who is a nominee or who proposes a nominee for election as a director, if the communication relates to the election of directors;
(c) a shareholder whose communication is in opposition to an amalgamation, arrangement, consolidation or other transaction recommended or approved by the board of directors of the corporation and who is proposing or intends to propose an alternative transaction to which the shareholder or an affiliate or associate of the shareholder is a party;
(d) a shareholder who, because of a material interest in the subject-matter to be voted on at a shareholders meeting, is likely to receive a benefit from its approval or non-approval, which benefit would not be shared pro rata by all other holders of the same class of shares, unless the benefit arises from the shareholder’s employment with the corporation; or
(e) any person acting on behalf of a shareholder described in any of paragraphs (a) to (d).
- SOR/2008-315, s. 5(F).
69 (1) For the purpose of subsection 150(1.2) of the Act, the prescribed circumstances are those in which the solicitation conveyed by public broadcast, speech or publication sets out the information provided for in Items 3.2, 3.4, 5(b) and 11 of Part 2 of Form 51-102F5 (Information Circular) of NI 51-102.
(2) A person making a solicitation referred to in subsection (1) shall send the required information and a copy of any related written communication to the Director and to the corporation before soliciting proxies.
- SOR/2008-315, s. 6.
PART 8Financial Disclosure
70 The following definitions apply in this Part.
- Canadian GAAP
Canadian GAAP means generally accepted accounting principles as set out in the CPA Canada Handbook – Accounting or the CPA Canada Public Sector Accounting Handbook, as amended from time to time. (PCGR canadiens)
- Canadian GAAS
Canadian GAAS means generally accepted auditing standards as set out in the CPA Canada Handbook – Assurance, as amended from time to time. (NVGR canadiennes)
- NI 52-107
NI 52-107 means National Instrument 52-107 of the Canadian Securities Administrators, entitled Acceptable Accounting Principles, Auditing Standards and Reporting Currency and published January 16, 2004, as amended from time to time. (Règlement 52-107)
- Part V
Part V[Repealed, SOR/2016-98, s. 1]
SEC means the United States Securities and Exchange Commission. (SEC)
- SEC registrant
SEC registrant means a corporation that
(a) has securities registered under section 12 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 of the United States, as amended from time to time, or is required to file reports under section 15(d) of that Act; and
(b) is not registered or required to be registered as an investment company under the Investment Company Act of 1940 of the United States, as amended from time to time. (société inscrite auprès de la SEC)
- US GAAP
US GAAP means the generally accepted accounting principles established by the Financial Accounting Standards Board of the United States, as amended from time to time. (PCGR américains)
- US GAAS
US GAAS means the generally accepted auditing standards established by the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board of the United States, as amended from time to time. (NVGR américaines)
- SOR/2005-51, s. 1;
- SOR/2010-305, s. 1;
- SOR/2016-98, s. 1.
(2) For an SEC registrant, the financial statements may be prepared in accordance with US GAAP.
(3) to (6) [Repealed, SOR/2016-98, s. 2]
(7) The financial statements shall contain a note stating whether the statements have been prepared in accordance with Canadian GAAP or US GAAP.
(8) [Repealed, SOR/2016-98, s. 2]
- SOR/2005-51, s. 1;
- SOR/2010-305, s. 2;
- SOR/2016-98, s. 2.
(2) For an SEC registrant that has prepared its financial statements in accordance with US GAAP and whose auditors are in compliance with the professional practice standards of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board of the United States, the auditor’s report may be prepared in accordance with US GAAS.
(3) [Repealed, SOR/2016-98, s. 3]
(4) If the auditor’s report referred to in subsection (2) is prepared in accordance with US GAAS and is for a financial year that begins on or after January 1, 2011, it shall comply with section 3.8 of NI 52-107, but for the purpose of applying that section,
- SOR/2005-51, s. 1;
- SOR/2010-305, s. 3;
- SOR/2016-98, s. 3.
- Date modified: