Dispensing with Compliance
8. (1) The Court, a judge or unless these Rules provide otherwise, the Registrar may, on motion or on their own initiative, excuse a party from complying with any of these Rules.
(2) The Court, a judge or the Registrar may refuse a document that does not comply with these Rules or that has not been served in accordance with these Rules or an order of the Court, a judge or the Registrar.
(3) Documents that do not comply with these Rules may be excluded from costs upon the order of the Court, a judge or the Registrar.
PART 2ADMINISTRATION OF THE COURT
9. The Registry of the Court shall be open every day except holidays from nine o’clock in the morning until five o’clock in the afternoon unless otherwise directed by the Registrar.
Registrar to Keep Records
10. The Registrar shall keep all registers necessary for recording all activities in every proceeding.
- SOR/2011-74, s. 4(F).
11. (1) A party may use either English or French in any oral or written communication with the Court.
(2) Subject to subrule (3), the Registrar shall provide to the parties services for simultaneous interpretation in both official languages during the hearing of every proceeding.
(3) In the case of a motion to be heard by a judge or the Registrar, the Registrar shall provide the services referred to in subrule (2) upon request of any party to the motion, made at least two days before the hearing of the motion.
PART 3POWERS OF THE REGISTRAR
Order of Registrar Binding
12. Subject to Rule 78, every order made by the Registrar shall be binding on all parties concerned as if the order had been made by a judge.
Reference to a Judge
13. The Registrar may refer any matter before him or her to a judge.
PART 4GENERAL RULES
Name of Party
14. A party whose name is registered in accordance with a federal or provincial Act shall file with the Registrar a notice of name in Form 14.
- SOR/2011-74, s. 5.
Representation of Parties
15. (1) Subject to Rule 17, counsel for a party in the court appealed from is deemed to be counsel before the Court.
(2) Subject to subrule (3), a party may either act in person or be represented by counsel.
(3) A corporation, partnership or unincorporated association shall be represented by counsel unless
(a) it was permitted to be represented by a person other than counsel in the court appealed from, and it chooses to continue to be represented by that person in the Court; or
(b) on motion, a judge grants it leave to be represented by a person other than counsel in accordance with the applicable federal or provincial legislative enactment.
16. (1) A party to an appeal shall only conduct business with the Registrar through an agent.
(2) A party to any other proceeding may choose to conduct business with the Registrar through an agent.
(3) No agent shall represent more than one party in any proceeding except with the consent of each party represented by the agent.
(4) An agent who represents two opposing parties shall file with the Registrar a notice in Form 16.
(5) A party may appoint a permanent agent by filing with the Registrar a notice to that effect.
- Date modified: