Division 3Issuance of Study Permits
Marginal note:Study permits
(a) applied for it in accordance with this Part;
(b) will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay under Division 2 of Part 9;
(c) meets the requirements of this Part;
(d) meets the requirements of subsections 30(2) and (3), if they must submit to a medical examination under paragraph 16(2)(b) of the Act; and
(e) has been accepted to undertake a program of study at a designated learning institution.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to persons described in section 206 and paragraphs 207(c) and (d).
Marginal note:Study in Quebec
(3) An officer shall not issue a study permit to a foreign national who intends to study in the Province of Quebec — other than under a federal assistance program for developing countries — and does not hold a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec, if the laws of that Province require that the foreign national hold a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec.
- SOR/2004-167, s. 59;
- SOR/2012-154, s. 11;
- SOR/2014-14, s. 12.
Marginal note:Application for renewal
(2) An officer shall renew the foreign national's study permit if, following an examination, it is established that the foreign national continues to meet the requirements of section 216.
- SOR/2004-167, s. 60;
- SOR/2014-14, s. 13.
Marginal note:Temporary resident status
218 A foreign national referred to in paragraph 215(1)(d) and their family members do not, by reason only of being issued a study permit, become temporary residents.
Division 4Restrictions on Studying in Canada
Marginal note:Acceptance letter
219 (1) A study permit shall not be issued to a foreign national unless they have written documentation from the designated learning institution where they intend to study that states that they have been accepted to study there.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to
(3) [Repealed, SOR/2014-14, s. 14]
- SOR/2004-167, s. 61;
- SOR/2014-14, s. 14.
- Date modified: