Issuance of Study Permits
Marginal note:Study permits
216. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), an officer shall issue a study permit to a foreign national if, following an examination, it is established that the foreign national
(a) applied for it in accordance with this Part;
(b) will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay under Division 2 of Part 9;
(c) meets the requirements of this Part; and
(d) meets the requirements of subsections 30(2) and (3), if they must submit to a medical examination under paragraph 16(2)(b) of the Act.
(e) [Repealed, SOR/2004-167, s. 59]
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to persons described in section 206 and paragraphs 207(c) and (d).
Marginal note:Study in Quebec
(3) An officer shall not issue a study permit to a foreign national who intends to study in the Province of Quebec — other than under a federal assistance program for developing countries — and does not hold a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec, if the laws of that Province require that the foreign national hold a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec.
- SOR/2004-167, s. 59;
- SOR/2012-154, s. 11.
Marginal note:Application for renewal
217. (1) A foreign national may apply for the renewal of their study permit if
(a) the application is made before the expiry of their study permit;
(b) they have complied with all conditions imposed on their entry into Canada; and
(c) they are in good standing at the educational institution at which they have been studying.
(2) An officer shall renew the foreign national's study permit if, following an examination, it is established that the foreign national continues to meet the requirements of section 216.
- SOR/2004-167, s. 60.
Marginal note:Temporary resident status
218. A foreign national referred to in paragraph 215(1)(d) and their family members do not, by reason only of being issued a study permit, become temporary residents.
Restrictions on Studying in Canada
Marginal note:Acceptance letter
219. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a study permit shall not be issued to a foreign national unless they have written documentation from the educational institution at which they intend to study that states that they have been accepted to study there.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to
(a) a family member of a foreign national whose application for a work permit or a study permit is approved in writing before the foreign national enters Canada; or
(b) a foreign national who is applying to renew their study permit and has received notification in writing from the college or university at which they have been studying of successful completion of the requirements for a degree or diploma.
Marginal note:Foreign national described in par. (2)(b)
(3) An officer who issues a study permit to a foreign national described in paragraph (2)(b) shall not authorize a period of study that exceeds 90 days following the date of the notification in writing.
- SOR/2004-167, s. 61.
- Date modified: