Marginal note:List of provinces
211.2 The Minister shall publish a list of those provinces with which the Minister has entered into an agreement or arrangement in respect of learning institutions that host international students.
- SOR/2014-14, s. 8.
212. A foreign national may not study in Canada unless authorized to do so by the Act, a study permit or these Regulations.
- SOR/2014-14, s. 9.
Division 2Application for Study Permit
Marginal note:Application before entry
213. Subject to sections 214 and 215, in order to study in Canada, a foreign national shall apply for a study permit before entering Canada.
Marginal note:Application on entry
214. A foreign national may apply for a study permit when entering Canada if they are
(a) a national or a permanent resident of the United States;
(b) a person who has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence;
(c) a resident of Greenland; or
(d) a resident of St. Pierre and Miquelon.
(e) [Repealed, SOR/2014-14, s. 10]
- SOR/2014-14, s. 10.
Marginal note:Application after entry
215. (1) A foreign national may apply for a study permit after entering Canada if they
(a) hold a study permit;
(b) apply within the period beginning 90 days before the expiry of their authorization to engage in studies in Canada under subsection 30(2) of the Act, or paragraph 188(1)(a) of these Regulations, and ending 90 days after that expiry;
(c) hold a work permit;
(d) are subject to an unenforceable removal order;
(e) hold a temporary resident permit issued under subsection 24(1) of the Act that is valid for at least six months;
(f) are a temporary resident who
(i) is studying at the preschool, primary or secondary level,
(ii) is a visiting or exchange student who is studying at a designated learning institution, or
(iii) has completed a course or program of study that is a prerequisite to their enrolling at a designated learning institution; or
(g) are in a situation described in section 207.
Marginal note:Family members
(2) A family member of a foreign national may apply for a study permit after entering Canada if the foreign national resides in Canada and the foreign national
(a) holds a study permit;
(b) holds a work permit;
(c) holds a temporary resident permit issued under subsection 24(1) of the Act that is valid for at least six months;
(d) is subject to an unenforceable removal order;
(e) is a member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state described in paragraph 186(d);
(f) is an officer of a foreign government described in paragraph 186(e);
(g) is a participant in sports activities or events, as described in paragraph 186(h);
(h) is an employee of a foreign news company as described in paragraph 186(i); or
(i) is a person who is responsible for assisting a congregation or group, as described in paragraph 186(l).
- SOR/2014-14, s. 11.
- Date modified: