Marginal note:Concentration and test method criteria
4. (1) The concentration of total lead present in a surface coating material must not be more than 90 mg/kg when a dried sample of it is tested in accordance with a method that conforms to good laboratory practices.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a surface coating material that is used
(a) as an anti-corrosive or an anti-weathering coating applied on the interior or exterior surface of any building or equipment that is used for an agricultural or industrial purpose;
(b) as an anti-corrosive or an anti-weathering coating applied on any structure, other than a building, that is used for an agricultural, industrial or public purpose;
(c) as a touch-up coating for metal surfaces;
(d) on traffic signs;
(e) for graphic art on billboards or similar displays;
(f) for identification marks in industrial buildings; or
(g) as material for the purposes of arts, crafts or hobbies, other than material for use by children.
- SOR/2010-224, s. 1.
Marginal note:Lead-content information
5. (1) If the concentration of total lead present in a surface coating material that is used for a purpose described in subsection 4(2) is more than 90 mg/kg, the display panel must contain the following information or its equivalent:
CONTAINS LEAD / CONTIENT DU PLOMB
DO NOT APPLY TO SURFACES
ACCESSIBLE TO CHILDREN OR
NE PAS APPLIQUER SUR UNE SURFACE
ACCESSIBLE AUX ENFANTS OU AUX
Must be used exclusively [Insert the appropriate use or uses described in subsection 4(2)]. / Utiliser uniquement aux fins suivantes : [insérer les fins mentionnées au paragraphe 4(2) qui s’appliquent].
(2) Despite paragraph 3(c), the expressions “Must be used exclusively” and “Utiliser uniquement aux fins suivantes :” must not be displayed in capital letters, and the italicized instructions must be replaced by the appropriate use or uses.
Marginal note:Small containers
(3) In the case of a display panel area that is less than 35 cm2, only the signal word “DANGER” and the specific hazard statements “CONTAINS LEAD” and “CONTIENT DU PLOMB” need be displayed.
Marginal note:Signal word “DANGER”
(4) If the information required by subsection (1) or (3) is displayed in separate English and French display panels, the signal word “DANGER” must be displayed in each display panel, but if the information is displayed in one bilingual display panel, the signal word “DANGER” need only be displayed once.
- SOR/2010-224, s. 2.
- Date modified: