Protection Against Moving Vehicles
146. If persons granted access to a work place are regularly exposed to the risk of coming into contact with moving vehicles during their work, the employer must ensure that they wear a high-visibility vest or other similar clothing that is readily visible under all conditions of use or that they are protected by a barricade that is readily visible under all conditions of use.
Protection Against Drowning
147. (1) If, in a work place, there is a hazard of drowning, as a result of work activities, other than vessel abandonment drills, the employer must provide every person granted access to the work place with
(a) a life jacket or other flotation device that meets the buoyancy standards set out in
(i) the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) Standard CAN/CGSB-65.7-2007, Life Jackets; or
(ii) Regulation 2 of Part 1 to IMO Resolution MSC.81(70), adopted on December 11, 1998 and entitled Revised Recommendation on Testing of Life-Saving Appliances; or
(b) a safety net or a fall-protection system.
(2) If, in a work place, there is a hazard of drowning,
(a) emergency equipment must be provided and held in readiness;
(b) a qualified person to operate all the emergency equipment provided must be present and ready to intervene;
(c) if appropriate, a vessel must be provided and held in readiness; and
(d) written emergency procedures, meeting the requirements set out in the regulations made under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, must be prepared by the employer.
148. (1) A record of all self-contained breathing apparatus provided by the employer must be kept by the employer on the vessel on which the breathing apparatus is located for a period of two years after the day on which the apparatus ceases to be used.
(2) The record must contain
(a) a description of the breathing apparatus and the date of its acquisition by the employer;
(b) the date and result of each inspection and test of the breathing apparatus;
(c) the date and nature of any maintenance work performed on the breathing apparatus since its acquisition by the employer; and
(d) the name of the person who performed the inspection, test or maintenance of the breathing apparatus.
Training and Instruction
149. (1) An employer must instruct every person granted access to a work place who is to use protection equipment in the use of the equipment.
(2) An employer must train and instruct every employee who uses protection equipment in the use, operation and maintenance of the equipment.
(3) The instruction referred to in subsections (1) and (2) must be
(a) set out in writing; and
(b) kept by the employer and made readily available for examination by every person granted access to the work place.
- Date modified: