Marginal note:Flammability of yarn
33. (1) The exposed surface of a doll, plush toy or soft toy that is made of spun staple yarn or bulked continuous filament yarn must have flame time spread of greater than 7 seconds in either of the following tests:
(a) that carried out in accordance with Schedule 7; or
(b) that carried out in accordance with Schedule 5 if the short length of the yarn prevents the removal of material that is sufficient for at least one of the specimens required for the test set out in Schedule 7.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a doll, plush toy or soft toy whose size or the short length of its yarn prevents the removal of material, including any seam, that is sufficient for at least one of the specimens required for the test set out in Schedule 5.
Marginal note:Flammability of hair or mane
34. The hair or mane, or simulated hair or simulated mane, of a doll, plush toy or soft toy, that is made of material other than yarn referred to in subsection 33(1), must not flame on a one-second impingement of the calibrated flame applied by the flammability tester described in section 1 of Schedule 6 or must self-extinguish within 2 seconds after the removal of the flame, after being subjected to all of the following procedures:
(a) if it is known to have a flame-retarding finish or if preliminary testing indicates that such a finish may be present, it is laundered in accordance with section 5 of Schedule 7;
(b) it is dried in an oven for 30 minutes at 105°C (221°F) or for 120 minutes at 75°C (167°F);
(c) it is removed from the oven; and
(d) it is placed until cool in a desiccator over a desiccant such as anhydrous calcium chloride for at least 15 minutes and not more than 2 hours.
Marginal note:Plant seeds — noise
35. A toy that is intended for use by a child of less than three years of age must not contain plant seeds as pellets for making noise.
Marginal note:Plant seeds — stuffing material
36. A toy must not contain plant seeds as stuffing material.
Pull and Push Toys
Marginal note:Shaft-like handles
37. (1) A pull and push toy that has a shaft-like handle that measures 10 mm (3/8 inch) or less in diameter must have a protective tip that is placed on the end of the handle to prevent puncture wounds and that is able to withstand a pulling force of 44.5 N (10 pounds).
Marginal note:Meaning of toy
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), “toy” means a product that is intended for use by a child in play.
Toy Steam Engines
Marginal note:Boilers — safety valves
38. (1) A toy steam engine boiler must meet all of the following requirements:
(a) it must be fitted with a firmly installed spring valve or any safety valve other than a weight valve;
(b) the operating pressure of the safety valve must not be more than one and one-half times the operating pressure of the steam boiler to which it is fitted; and
(c) the boiler must be constructed to withstand, without rupture, at least three times its operating pressure.
Marginal note:Meaning of operating pressure
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the operating pressure of a boiler is the steam pressure in the boiler that adjusts itself after the steam engine has been running without a load.
Marginal note:Meaning of toy
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1), “toy” means a product that is intended for use by a child in play.
- Date modified: